When and where is the best time to view the 2014jo25 asteroid?

  • Topic: Stargazing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter hsdrop
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
hsdrop
Messages
324
Reaction score
114
Hello everyone, I was hoping that someone could help me out what the best place and time to view if one wanted to see the asteroid pass by us??
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
hsdrop said:
Hello everyone, I was hoping that someone could help me out what the best place and time to view if one wanted to see the asteroid pass by us??

so, do you have a reasonable telescope ?
It will just look like another star when viewing it but over some hours you will notice it has moved in relation to the other background starsDave
 
My two telescopes while nice were never very reasonable. You could talk to them all you want but they would remain fixated on that one point until you jiggled the mount and then all bets were off.

I have an 8" Orion reflector (a bit bulky) with a dobsonian base and no motor drive and a smaller Orion Mak which I prefer because of its portability and larger star field view also without a motor drive. I'm cheap.
 
that a lot better then my little 4 1/2 incher:bow: lol do you think that i mite be able to watch it with that
 
If you read the link in the second post you'll see that a 8 inch telescope or larger is recommended.

ETA: A 4.5" telescope has a telescopic gain of about 6 magnitudes to it should be possible under dark skies especially if you are an experienced observer.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hsdrop
I'm still somewhat of a binger still, and south central wisconsin is quite clouded up tonight and tomorrow any way :cry: