Radioactive Dating of Asteroid Elements: How Do Scientists Know?

In summary, scientists use radioactive dating of elements in asteroids to determine the age of the solar system. They do this by knowing the original amount of the radioactive element in the rock and using its decay rate to determine how much time has passed. This requires knowledge of detailed chemistry and can vary depending on the specific radioactive process being studied.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
When scientists radioactively date elements in the asteroids to determine the age of the solar system, how do they know what the original amount of the radioactive element was?
When scientists use radioactive dating of elements in the asteroids to determine the age of the solar system, how do they know what the original amount of the radioactive element that was in the rock was? Do they need to know what the original amount of the radioactive element was in the rock?

Just looking for a general answer here and if you know of a good webpage that talks about this, go ahead and post it here.

My guess is that there is some ratio of decay products to parent nuclei that can be measured, is this correct?

So for example, let's say that If I look in the asteroid rock and see that 25% of the rock sample is potassium–40 and the other 75% is calcium–40 and Argon–40, and I know the half-life of potassium–40 is 1.3 billion years, then the age of this rock must be about 2.6 billion years (that is, two half-lives have passed by the time and measure the age of this asteroid). Is this along the right logic?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Albertgauss said:
When scientists use radioactive dating of elements in the asteroids to determine the age of the solar system, how do they know what the original amount of the radioactive element that was in the rock was? Do they need to know what the original amount of the radioactive element was in the rock?
Take, for example, uranium-lead dating. This is often done on the mineral zircon, because zircon strongly rejects lead but will incorporate uranium into it. So we know that all the lead found in the zircon must have come from the radioactive decay of uranium since it couldn't have been formed with lead inside it. Then it's a matter of determining the ratio of lead to uranium and using the decay rate of uranium (which is known) to find out how much time had to have passed to get that ratio.

Other decay dating methods use similar methods.

• Informative
Likes collinsmark and berkeman
Oh, I see. You really have to know some detailed chemistry of the kind in the example you described to deduce what the original amount must have been. What you wrote makes sense to me. Not a one-chemistry-fits-all but finding out some way of what the original amount or ratio must have been will be a unique method to each radioactive process. I think I get it.

Likes Drakkith

1. What is radioactive dating and how does it work?

Radioactive dating is a method used by scientists to determine the age of a material or object by measuring the amount of radioactive elements present. This is based on the principle that certain elements, called isotopes, have unstable nuclei that decay or break down over time into more stable elements. By measuring the ratio of the original element to the decay product, scientists can calculate the age of the material.

2. How do scientists know the age of asteroids?

Scientists use radioactive dating to determine the age of asteroids. They collect samples from the asteroid and measure the ratio of radioactive elements, such as uranium and lead, in the sample. By comparing this ratio to the known decay rate of these elements, scientists can calculate the age of the asteroid.

3. What types of radioactive elements are used in dating asteroids?

Scientists primarily use uranium, thorium, and potassium isotopes for dating asteroids. These elements have long half-lives, meaning they decay at a slow and predictable rate, making them ideal for determining the age of older objects like asteroids.

4. Can radioactive dating be used to determine the age of all asteroids?

No, radioactive dating can only be used on certain types of asteroids. It is most effective on rocky or metallic asteroids, as these materials contain the necessary elements for radioactive dating. It is not suitable for determining the age of icy or organic-rich asteroids.

5. How accurate is radioactive dating in determining the age of asteroids?

Radioactive dating has been shown to be a very accurate method of determining the age of asteroids. With advanced techniques and equipment, scientists can obtain precise measurements and calculate ages within a margin of error of just a few million years.