1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When anti-matter and matter collide are they destroyed?

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    When anti-matter and matter collide , they say they both annihilate however isn't it known according to the law of conservation that matter can't be created nor destroyed.
    This confuses me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Energy can't be created or destroyed, matter can (it can turn into energy).

4. Jun 18, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Energy, and by extension mass, cannot be created or destroyed, only moved around. Matter can and is destroyed all the time.

5. Jun 18, 2012 #4
    OH!!! My physics teacher told me that atoms may not be created or destroyed and so does my school text book.

6. Jun 18, 2012 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

At the level you are being thought, that is accurate. But here, you are trying to play with the Big Boys. The rules may be different, and injuries are common.

Zz.

7. Jun 18, 2012 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I don't know what grade you are in, but I'd guess that your book and teacher are either just plain wrong, or are just keeping things simple. An atom is a composite particle, meaning that it is made up of smaller particles, specifically the Proton, Neutron, and Electron for atoms in normal matter. It is entirely possible to change an atom and even take it apart completely in certain situations, thus rendering it no longer an atom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook