When are Lumped-element models used in the design process?

In summary, the models are used in different phases of the design process. They are also used for the analysis of systems.
Simas
Hi everybody,

Academic papers in mechanical engineering use often lumped-element (or lumped-parameter) models such as a typical quarter car model. However, books about the (mechanical) engineering design methodologies (such as by authors Dieter, Shigley, or Pahl-Beitz) seem to not mention this specific type of models.
Given that lumped-element models are usually strong simplifications, my guess would be that these type of models are mainly used in the Concept design phase and for system-level design, but I am not sure and I am wondering if they are also used for other purposes (maybe in more complex forms?).

Hence, to make long story short my questions are:
[1] When are these models used in the (mechanical) design process?
[2] Are this type of models only used in the industry to analyse a system (e.g. full suspension) or also to design system elements (e.g. damper or spring)?

I'm struggling for a long time to understand this, thus any help would be highly appreciated!
Thank you in advance,

Simon

Engineering news on Phys.org
We use the simplest model that provides the necessary information. An example is the analysis of a gearless wide web high speed flexographic printer:

The frame side sway natural frequency was analyzed using lumped masses for the rolls.
The roll natural frequencies were analyzed using full roll models with detail simplifications.
The roll vibration damping system was analyzed using a lumped mass model.
Critical roll adjustment brackets were analyzed with no simplifications.

The resulting printer met all design specifications without vibration problems over the entire speed range.

Likes Simas
jrmichler,
Thank you very much for your swift reply!

Just in passing, let me put on my (dusty) physicist hat and point out that characterizing a spring using a single parameter k is already a grotesquely crude lumped-parameter model. It is the heart of all engineering practice and the hardest part of really good engineering.

Likes Simas
I have used lumped parameter models for the torsional vibration response calculation of many engine-generator sets. This includes both the eigenvalue problem and the forced response.

Likes Simas
Thank you Dr. D and hutchphd!

1. What are lumped-element models?

Lumped-element models are simplified mathematical representations of complex physical systems. They are used to analyze and design electronic circuits and systems by considering the behavior of individual components as discrete elements rather than continuous distributions.

2. When are lumped-element models typically used in the design process?

Lumped-element models are typically used in the early stages of the design process to quickly evaluate the performance of a circuit or system and make design decisions. They are also used when the physical dimensions of the system are small compared to the wavelength of the signals being transmitted.

3. What are the advantages of using lumped-element models in design?

Using lumped-element models can save time and resources in the design process by simplifying complex systems into more manageable components. They also allow for a better understanding of the system's behavior and can help identify potential issues before prototyping.

4. Are there any limitations to using lumped-element models?

Yes, lumped-element models have limitations in accurately representing high-frequency and high-speed systems. They also do not account for electromagnetic effects, such as radiation and coupling, which can be significant in some designs.

5. How can one ensure the accuracy of lumped-element models in design?

To ensure the accuracy of lumped-element models, it is important to validate the results with measurements or simulations using more detailed models. It is also essential to use appropriate component models and carefully consider the assumptions made in the lumped-element model to ensure its validity.