When are oogenesis and spermatogenesis arrested until the onset of puberty?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sastronaut
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
Sastronaut
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
Hey PF! Have two questions about Oogenesis and Spermatogenesis! In human beings when is oogenesis and spermatogenesis arrested until the onset of puberty? I believe it is at Prophase I and at Primary Spermatocytes, but is this correct? Any input would be great!


Thanks PF!
 
Biology news on Phys.org
nvm,
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thank you for your help! Then does spermatogenesis arrest at spermatogonia until the onset of puberty?
 
i made a mistake in my original post... the 1˚ spermatocyte actually does arrest. I'm not sure when.
 
No big deal Tdod appreciate your help and no it is not; I need to understand the cycle and I don't yet. When I read about it the material only speaks of the arrest occurring at meiosis I it doesn't talk about prophase I
 
Last edited:
spermatocytes never gets arrested.

primary oocytes arrest at diplotene stage of prophaseI till the female reach puberty. (remember oocyte porduction starts at the time of birth in females).
secondary oocytes are also arrested at the metaphaseII stage till the process of fertilisation take place.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person