When do the combined heights of two Ferris wheels reach 27.5m?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Amathproblem22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Addition Sinusoids
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Amathproblem22
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
So I have figured out two equations model a Ferris wheel ride(two different ferris wheels).
F1 = Ferris wheel one
F2= Ferris wheel two

F1, $$h=-12\cos\frac{\pi}{10}t+12.5$$

F2, $$h=-12\cos\frac{\pi}{30}t+15$$

Now from these two equations, I want to know when F2+F1= 27.5m i.e I want to find the times when the combined height of each Ferris wheels seat adds up to 27.5m.
How would I go about doing this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If we equate sum of the two height functions to 27.5, we ultimately obtain:

$$\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{10}t\right)+\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{30}t\right)=0$$

Let's let:

$$\theta=\frac{\pi}{30}t$$

And we may write:

$$\cos(3\theta)+\cos(\theta)=0$$

Applying a triple-angle identity for cosine, we ultimately get:

$$2\cos^3(\theta)-\cos(\theta)=0$$

Factor:

$$\cos(\theta)(2\cos^2(\theta)-1)=0$$

Can you proceed?
 
MarkFL said:
If we equate sum of the two height functions to 27.5, we ultimately obtain:

$$\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{10}t\right)+\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{30}t\right)=0$$

Let's let:

$$\theta=\frac{\pi}{30}t$$

And we may write:

$$\cos(3\theta)+\cos(\theta)=0$$

Applying a triple-angle identity for cosine, we ultimately get:

$$2\cos^3(\theta)-\cos(\theta)=0$$

Factor:

$$\cos(\theta)(2\cos^2(\theta)-1)=0$$

Can you proceed?
\[ \cos \left(θ\right)=0\quad \mathrm{or}\quad \:2\cos ^2\left(θ\right)-1=0 \]

\[ \cos \left(θ\right)=0: θ=\frac{\pi }{2}+2\pi n,\:θ=\frac{3\pi }{2}+2\pi n \]

\[ 2\cos ^2\left(θ\right)-1=0: θ=\arccos \left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\right)+2\pi n,\:θ=2\pi -\arccos \left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\right)+2\pi n,\:θ=\arccos \left(-\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\right)+2\pi n,\:θ=-\arccos \left(-\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}\right)+2\pi n \] ?
 
Yes, for:

$$\cos(\theta)=0$$

This implies (where \(k\in\mathbb{Z}\)):

$$\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}+\pi k=\frac{\pi}{2}(2k+1)$$

$$t=\frac{30}{\pi}\theta=15(2k+1)$$

And for:

$$\cos(\theta)=\pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$$

This implies:

$$\theta=\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{\pi}{2}k=\frac{\pi}{4}(2k+1)$$

$$t=\frac{30}{\pi}\theta=\frac{15}{2}(2k+1)$$