When do the laws of general relativity breakdown?

In summary, physicists use the theory of general relativity to understand large celestial bodies and quantum mechanics to understand small particles. It is currently unknown when general relativity breaks down and quantum mechanics takes over. This conflict is observed in black holes but not in ordinary conditions. More research is needed to understand the transition between the two theories.
joebloggs
Ok, firstly I just want to say I have a layman's interest in physics. But from my limited understanding physicists use the theory of general relativity to understand big things like stars and galaxies and use quantum mechanics to understand the very small things like atoms and sub-atomic particles. My question is when does general relativity breakdown and quantum mechanics take over? Is there some critical size or point this happens? Or is it a gradual progression? I hope these questions make sense :).

Physics news on Phys.org
joebloggs said:
when does general relativity breakdown and quantum mechanics take over?

We don't know yet. As far as I know, there is as yet no experimental data on gravitation that unambiguously shows a breakdown of GR.

My question is when does general relativity breakdown and quantum mechanics take over?
Inside a black hole these theories are in conflict. This implies that there is a breakdown in one or the other or both.

joebloggs said:
Ok, firstly I just want to say I have a layman's interest in physics. But from my limited understanding physicists use the theory of general relativity to understand big things like stars and galaxies and use quantum mechanics to understand the very small things like atoms and sub-atomic particles. My question is when does general relativity breakdown and quantum mechanics take over? Is there some critical size or point this happens? Or is it a gradual progression? I hope these questions make sense :).

I always thought it was when you approach the sub-atomic level.

befragen said:
I always thought it was when you approach the sub-atomic level.
There is no contradiction under ordinary (outside of black holes) conditions, such as in any Earth lab.

I recently asked a similar question on this forum. Relativity is responsible for a lot of interesting effects such as the color of gold and the liquid state of mercury. If you go back a page or two you should be able to find my thread; there are some pretty interesting responses and links.

1. What are the limits of the laws of general relativity?

The laws of general relativity apply to massive objects and their interactions in the presence of gravity. This theory breaks down when dealing with objects at the quantum level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It also does not account for the behavior of extremely high energies, such as those found in black holes.

2. Can general relativity be applied to the entire universe?

General relativity is a local theory, meaning it can only accurately describe the behavior of objects within a limited region of space. It cannot be applied to the entire universe, as it does not take into account the expansion of the universe or the behavior of objects on a cosmological scale.

3. Are there any known cases where general relativity does not hold true?

There have been observations and experiments that have challenged the predictions of general relativity, such as the anomalous rotation rates of galaxies and the accelerating expansion of the universe. However, these discrepancies could also potentially be explained by modifying the theory or by the presence of dark matter and dark energy.

4. Could there be a more accurate theory that supersedes general relativity?

General relativity has been extensively tested and is considered one of the most successful theories in physics. However, it does not fully explain the behavior of the universe and is not compatible with the principles of quantum mechanics. Many scientists are actively working on theories that could potentially unify general relativity and quantum mechanics.

5. How do we know when the laws of general relativity breakdown?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental observations to determine where general relativity breaks down. They also look for discrepancies or limitations in the theory and use new technologies and experiments to test its predictions. The ultimate goal is to find a more complete theory that can accurately describe the behavior of the universe at all scales.