When does a larger voltage result in a greater current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between induced current in a circuit and the rate of change of magnetic flux. The equation V=IR is mentioned and there is a question about how this relates to the concept of constant resistance. The conversation concludes with an explanation that an increase in voltage would lead to an increase in current, with the equation R=V/I being used to show the direct proportionality between voltage and current.
Mycelium

Homework Statement

I was looking at a question which asked when the induced current in a circuit was greatest, and this was when the rate of change of magnetic flux was greatest. However, this (seems to )contradicts V = IR. Can anyone explain?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mycelium said:
this (seems to )contradicts V = IR.
How?

cnh1995 said:
How?
I thought that if we have constant resistance, an increase in voltage would lead to a decrease in current. At least that's how I interpret the equation.

Mycelium said:
increase in voltage would lead to a decrease in current.
R=V/I. Increase in voltage increases the current such that V/I is constant. I is in direct proportion with V. That's pretty intuitive, isn't it?

cnh1995 said:
R=V/I. Increase in voltage increases the current such that V/I is constant. I is in direct proportion with V. That's pretty intuitive, isn't it?
Yeah, it makes sense thinking about it like that. Thanks [emoji4]

1. How does voltage affect current?

Voltage is directly proportional to current, meaning that as voltage increases, current also increases. This is known as Ohm's Law and is represented by the equation V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

2. Why does a larger voltage result in a greater current?

This is because voltage is the driving force behind the flow of electrons in a circuit. A larger voltage means there is more potential energy available to push the electrons through the circuit, resulting in a greater current.

3. Can a larger voltage ever result in a smaller current?

Yes, this can happen if the resistance in the circuit increases. According to Ohm's Law, as resistance increases, current decreases, even if voltage remains the same. So, if there is a larger voltage but also a larger resistance, the current may actually be smaller.

4. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit?

The relationship between voltage and current can be described as a direct relationship. As one increases, the other also increases, and vice versa. This is due to the fact that voltage is the driving force behind current in a circuit.

5. Does increasing voltage always result in a larger current?

No, it is important to consider the other factors in a circuit, such as resistance and the type of material the circuit is made of. In some cases, increasing voltage may actually damage the circuit or cause it to malfunction if it exceeds the maximum voltage it is designed for.