Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When is classical mechanics valid for describing motion of atoms?

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    Hello. In Molecular Dynamics simulations, the Newton's equation of motion is used to calculate the time evolution of system. Once, I read in an introductory text that when the thermal de Broglie wavelength $$\Lambda=\frac{h}{\sqrt{2\pi mkT}}$$ is much smaller than the interparticle distance, using classical mechanics is justified and it can be used instead of quantum mechanics. Why? I mean I'd like to start from the Schrodinger equation or a theorem which is based on it (e.g. Ehrenfest's theorem) and using the above criterion obtain the Newton's equation of motion.

May you help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2013 #2

Jano L.

Gold Member

It is not easy to derive the Newton equations of motion from Schroedinger's equation alone, because the latter is usually though to be only a probabilistic description of the motion of the particles, while the Newton equations are direct description of trajectory. It is like with diffusion equation - you can't use it to derive trajectory of a Brownian particle.

The reason why the Newton equations are used is rather that they are simple and there are good reasons to think they are adequate - kinetic theory of gases...

4. Apr 12, 2013 #3
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook