When is cos(x) - sin(x) < cos(x) + sin(x) for 0 ≤ x ≤ 2π?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rad0786
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
rad0786
Messages
187
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



for what values of x is cos(x) - sin(x) < cox(x) + sin(x) where 0 =< x =< 2pi

Homework Equations



none.

The Attempt at a Solution



I actually drew out the funtions and added them.
In my graphs, I get that:

cos(x) - sin(x) < cos(x) + sin(x) for for 0 =< x =< pi

When I try to show this in Matlab, i ger messy results?

Any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a simpler way to do it. Did you try algebraically manipulating the equation?
 
no ... infact, I am not sure what you mean?

cos(x) - sin(x) < cos(x) + sin(x)
cos(x) - cos(x) < sin(x) + sin(x)
0 < 2sin(x)
0 < sin(x)

and sin(x) is bigger than zero for 0 =< x =<pi/2

This dosn't seem right to me...
 
Actually, sin(x)>0 everywhere on the open interval (0,pi).
 
oh yeah, sorry, i got confused...

so that means that cos(x) - sin(x) is less than cos(x) + sin(x) for (0,pi) ?
 
i don't like this because it dosn't match up with my graphs.

but the math looks right, therefore, their must exist an error in my graphs.