Find absolute minimum of f(x)=sin(x)-cos(x) on [0,pi]

In summary, the minimum of f(x) = sin(x)-cos(x) on [0,pi] is at either endpoint or interior point (x=x_0, x=\pi).
FatMarrow

Homework Statement

Find the absolute minimum of f(x)=sin(x)-cos(x) on [0,pi]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 0 from looking at a graph, but I cannot figure out how to express my workings algebraically. The end goal of this is to do a presentation on how I figured out the answer and I don't think I can really just get up and draw a graph on sin(x)-cos(x) and then just point at 0. So far I've managed to get the first derivative and find x=-pi/4. From here I just don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
FatMarrow said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

-

I know the answer is 0 from looking at a graph, but I cannot figure out how to express my workings algebraically. The end goal of this is to do a presentation on how I figured out the answer and I don't think I can really just get up and draw a graph on sin(x)-cos(x) and then just point at 0. So far I've managed to get the first derivative and find x=-pi/4. From here I just don't know what to do.
Have you calculated f(0)? I think that x = 0 falls in your interval and f(0) < 0.

What is the equation for ##\sin (x - \pi/4)## in terms of sines and cosines of x and pi/4?

Chestermiller said:
What is the equation for ##\sin (x - \pi/4)## in terms of sines and cosines of x and pi/4?

sin(x)cos(pi/4) - sin(pi/4)cos(x)

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here.

FatMarrow said:

You are. Check Post #2.

FatMarrow said:

What are the values of sin(pi/4) and cos(pi/4)?

SteamKing said:
You are. Check Post #2.

Yup, I read that as something else, not sure what but thank you nonetheless.

Chestermiller said:
What are the values of sin(pi/4) and cos(pi/4)?
Theyre both equal to root 2 / 2 so now you have:
root 2 / 2(sinx - cosx)
But I'm failing to see where to go from that. Do you equate it to 0 and then get x=0 or 1?

$$\sin{x}-\cos{x}=\sqrt{2}\sin\left(x-\frac{\pi}{4}\right)=\sqrt{2}\sin\theta$$
where ##\theta=x-\frac{\pi}{4}##. What is the minimum value of ##\sin\theta## between ##\theta=-\frac{\pi}{4}## and ##\theta=+\frac{3\pi}{4}##?

Last edited:
FatMarrow said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

-

IDK what graph you were looking at which told you that the abs. minimum of f(x) = sin(x) - cos(x) was zero on [0, π], but that graph was wrong.

f(0) = sin (0) - cos (0) < 0

You can check this by using Wolfram Alpha online to plot this function, for example.

It's not what you don't know that's the problem, it's what you know that just ain't so that gets you into trouble. :wink:

FatMarrow said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

-

There is an easy way and a less-easy way. Chestermiller has outlined the easiest way, but if you know some calculus, there is an alternative method. The minimum will either be at an endpoint (##x = 0## or ##x = \pi##), or else at an interior point ##0 < x < \pi##. At an interior-point optimum ##x = x_0## of ##f(x) = \sin(x) - \cos(x)## you need ##df/dx|_{x=x_0} = 0##, giving ##\tan(x_0) = -1##. You ought to be able to solve that (on ##0 < x_0 < \pi##) graphically, by locating on the unit circle the corresponding ##(\cos(x_0), \sin(x_0)##. There are no other points in ##(0, \pi)## where the derivative vanishes.

So, the minimum is either at ##x = 0## or at ##x = \pi## or at ##x = x_0##. You can just go ahead and evaluate ##f(x)## at all three points, and pick the best value. Alternatively, you can perform a second-derivative test to conclude that ##x_0## maximizes ##f(x)##, so cannot be the minimizing point. That leaves just the two points ##x = 0, \pi## to check.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
There is an easy way and a less-easy way. Steamking has outlined the easiest way, but if you know some calculus, there is an alternative method. The minimum will either be at an endpoint (##x = 0## or ##x = \pi##), or else at an interior point ##0 < x < \pi##. At an interior-point optimum ##x = x_0## of ##f(x) = \sin(x) - \cos(x)## you need ##df/dx|_{x=x_0} = 0##, giving ##\tan(x_0) = -1##. You ought to be able to solve that (on ##0 < x_0 < \pi##) graphically, by locating on the unit circle the corresponding ##(\cos(x_0), \sin(x_0)##. There are no other points in ##(0, \pi)## where the derivative vanishes.

So, the minimum is either at ##x = 0## or at ##x = \pi## or at ##x = x_0##. You can just go ahead and evaluate ##f(x)## at all three points, and pick the best value. Alternatively, you can perform a second-derivative test to conclude that ##x_0## maximizes ##f(x)##, so cannot be the minimizing point. That leaves just the two points ##x = 0, \pi## to check.
Hi Ray,

I guess you didn't like the method I suggested in post #9?

Chet

FatMarrow said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

-

The first thing I would suggest is that you notice that ##x = -\frac \pi 4## is not on your interval. Can you find any critical points that are on the given interval ##[0,\pi]##? Now, others have given you hints which you don't seem to get, so, alternatively, I would remind you that you have a closed interval domain, so the min must occur at a critical point on the interval or at an end point. If you find a critical point on the interval, it and the end points are all you need to check to find both the max and min on the interval.

[Edit:] I took way too long to type this so I didn't see Ray's post.

Chestermiller said:
Hi Ray,

I guess you didn't like the method I suggested in post #9?

Chet

I never said anything of the sort, and I even acknowledged your approach as being the simplest. However, the OP did not seem to connect to that approach, at least not right away. Outlining an alternative is not the same thing as rejecting something. You and I both know how to solve this problem, but the OP seems unsure.

Ray Vickson said:
I never said anything of the sort, and I even acknowledged your approach as being the simplest. However, the OP did not seem to connect to that approach, at least not right away. Outlining an alternative is not the same thing as rejecting something. You and I both know how to solve this problem, but the OP seems unsure.
You said something about SteamKing's method, but not mine, and I just thought you had not noticed it.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You said something about SteamKing's method, but not mine, and I just thought you had not noticed it.

Chet

I am truly sorry: I meant you, but mis-attributed the contribution.

I have edited the incorrect attribution.

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller

1. What is the definition of an absolute minimum?

An absolute minimum is the smallest value of a function within a given domain. It is the lowest point on the graph of a function, and there are no other points on the graph that are lower.

2. How do you find the absolute minimum of a function?

To find the absolute minimum of a function, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. Then, solve for x to find the critical points. Next, evaluate the function at each critical point as well as at the endpoints of the given domain. The smallest value among these points will be the absolute minimum.

3. What is the domain of the function f(x)=sin(x)-cos(x)?

The domain of the function f(x)=sin(x)-cos(x) is [0,pi]. This means that the function is defined for all values of x between 0 and pi, including 0 and pi.

4. How do you graph the function f(x)=sin(x)-cos(x)?

To graph the function f(x)=sin(x)-cos(x), plot points using a table of values or use a graphing calculator. Alternatively, you can also use the properties of sine and cosine functions to graph it. First, graph the function f(x)=sin(x) and then shift the graph down by 1 unit to account for the -cos(x) term.

5. What is the absolute minimum of f(x)=sin(x)-cos(x) on [0,pi]?

The absolute minimum of f(x)=sin(x)-cos(x) on [0,pi] is -1. This occurs at x=pi, which is the endpoint of the given domain. The other critical point, x=0, gives a value of 0, which is not the absolute minimum.