Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When is your US credit score first established

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Does it come with your social security number as soon as you're born? When you first pay taxes? You're first credit interaction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting question. My wife came from another country and we made sure that she got added as a 'responsible party' to my credit card in order to establish credit (not just adding her name). When we bought a house several years later, her credit score was higher than mine (800+). My mother-in-law lives with us now and I can't even get a report from Transunion, Experion, or Equifax about her. This leads me to believe that it starts after you actually borrow money for the first time (or some other trigger).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. Jan 29, 2010 #3

Dembadon

Gold Member

Utility companies (gas, electric, water, etc.) and service providers like cable, internet, etc. report to credit agencies. If you pay bills which are under your name then I would assume this would be applicable to your question as well. Late or missed payments are reported as such.

5. Jan 29, 2010 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Utility companies do not report to credit agencies and it won't help you establish credit. The only time you might find a rating from a utility is if you are disconnected for non-payment and the amount is turned over to an outside credit agency. The credit agency then reports the debt they bought to a credit reporting agency.

An independent ISP or cable company might, but not the public utilies (governed by the PUC or PSC such as gas, electric, & phone).

6. Jan 29, 2010 #5

Dembadon

Gold Member

That makes sense.

I just remember reading a vague statement in most service contracts containing something similar to "We report your payment habits to _____." It is likely I'm just getting this situation confused with my ISP or cable company contracts, though.

7. Jan 29, 2010 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think it's only if they are regulated that they can't report you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook