When to take the FE exam and which courses to prepare?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Maxwell
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Exam
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Maxwell
Messages
511
Reaction score
0
I was wondering if anyone here has taken the FE exam lately, or at all. When is the best time to take the exam? Maybe senior year?

Also, my course schedule allows me to take a few electives, incase I want to take courses from other disciplines for the FE exam (I'm an EE). In my case, I would take Statics, Dynamics, and Thermodynamics. Maybe Fluid mechanics as well. Should I take these, or take classes I feel will help me in my field of choice?

Another question: Is the exam very hard? If i seriously prepare for the exam like 5 months in advance, will I be set? I heard the exam is like 8 hours long... that's pretty scary! :bugeye:

Any other information you guys might have, please let me know. I've been googling some info, but nothing beats speaking with people who have taken the exam recently.

Thanks :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org


As someone who has recently taken the FE exam, I would suggest taking it during your senior year if possible. This will allow you to have the most relevant knowledge and coursework fresh in your mind. However, some people choose to take it during their junior year and that is also a viable option.

In terms of the courses you should take, it is always helpful to have a well-rounded understanding of different disciplines, but ultimately it is up to you and your career goals. If you feel that taking courses in other disciplines will benefit you in your chosen field, then go for it. However, if you feel that focusing on courses directly related to your field will better prepare you for the exam, then that is also a valid choice.

The FE exam can be challenging, but with proper preparation, you can definitely pass it. I would suggest starting to study at least 5-6 months in advance, especially if you have a heavy course load or other commitments. As for the length of the exam, it is indeed 8 hours long, but it is broken up into two 4-hour sessions with a lunch break in between. It may seem daunting, but just remember to pace yourself and take breaks when needed.

Some other tips for preparing for the FE exam:
- Make sure to familiarize yourself with the exam format and content specifications beforehand. This will help you focus your studying on the most important topics.
- Utilize practice exams and study materials to get a feel for the types of questions that may be asked.
- Don't be afraid to reach out to others who have taken the exam for advice and study tips.
- Stay organized and create a study schedule to help you stay on track.
- Don't underestimate the importance of time management during the exam. Make sure to answer all questions and leave time to review any flagged questions.

Overall, the FE exam is definitely a challenging experience, but with dedication and proper preparation, you can definitely succeed. Good luck!