When to use mathematics and its operators ?

In summary: I think you've summarized it well.In summary, physical scientists and mathematicians model phenomena by sharing, revising, and refining ideas until they have clarity and can be extended to a larger class. The distinction between theoretical and practical is difficult to determine, but it often involves working with lighter constraints and general results. To understand processes in terms of mathematics, one must understand the meaning of symbols and the goal of the modeling. This often involves analyzing changes locally and using calculus and statistics to make sense of complex phenomena.
Sabbatical
How exactly does a physical scientist or mathematician go about modeling the way that a phenomena works or appears to work. For example, how do I know when it's appropriate to introduce something like --> ∂ or even the integral instead of something else?

Alternatively, maybe I'm asking, at what point does 'theoretical' become 'practical', but fundamentally, what happens before I can model out a mere thought as theoretical?

Most valuably, once I do understand this process, how do I go about having a mindset to be able to map out the things that I think about, mathematically?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sabbatical said:
How exactly does a physical scientist or mathematician go about modeling the way that a phenomena works or appears to work. For example, how do I know when it's appropriate to introduce something like --> ∂ or even the integral instead of something else?

Alternatively, maybe I'm asking, at what point does 'theoretical' become 'practical', but fundamentally, what happens before I can model out a mere thought as theoretical?

Most valuably, once I do understand this process, how do I go about having a mindset to be able to map out the things that I think about, mathematically?

Hey Sabbatical and welcome to the forums.

There is no general answer to this IMO, but usually what happens is that ideas form, they are shared, revised and refined and once it gets to a point where it has a lot of clarity it is worked on and extended by mathematicians working in that particular field.

In terms of when something becomes 'practical' from 'theoretical' this is a tough question.

Usually what happens is that pure mathematicians or theoretical mathematicians like theoretical statisticians will try and work on things that encompass lighter constraints: that is instead of working on specific cases like an engineer would, they work on more general results.

The result of the above is that if a mathematician ends up proving results for a large general class of phenomena, then when the engineer, applied mathematician or scientist runs into a problem that requires such methods, they might find that X has already solved this problem and then use it for their purposes.

In terms of understanding processes in terms of mathematics, you need to understand what the symbols really mean from a viewpoint that is able to explained in english rather than mathematics.

For example many applied problems deal with analyzing the change locally rather than globally and for this reason, many applied problems are formulated in terms of differential equations or difference equations because the local changes are easier to process and understand whereas the global changes and classifications are often too hard to understand and this is the goal of the person doing the modelling to go from 'local' characteristics to 'global' characteristics in terms of understanding and in the context of what they are actually trying to do.

The key thing is to put away the math and ask the fundamental thing: what are you trying to do?

For example in asymmetric cryptography, the key thing that people are trying to do is to create a function that is easy to do but hard to undo given certain conditions. The function has to have a way of being undone otherwise you wouldn't get the data back, but the way has to have the above property.

It turns out that number theory provides this kind of functionality and so a lot of these algorithms are based on number theoretic results but again: if another way existed that had better properties for what is in mind then there is no reason that it should or would not be used.

Usually when we are trying to understand phenomena that we are not purposely engineering (cryptography as opposed to something like physics or biology) then the ways to analyze these kinds of things involve not only calculus (which is able to model how changes between variables are linked) but also statistics.

The reason we use statistics is that due to the amount of disorder (think complexity) of the results, it's not even easy in many circumstances to decipher what the local changes should be when you are studying something that is so complex that appears to be random.

It's not an exact science and many people are developing new methods as we speak to take some phenomena and try and make sense out of it.

thanks for the reply Chiro, I had contemplated these sorts of questions as well

1. When do I use mathematics in my research or experiments?

Mathematics is used in scientific research and experiments to quantitatively analyze and model data, make predictions, and test hypotheses. It is also used to describe and understand natural phenomena, as well as to develop new theories and technologies.

2. What are some common mathematical operators used in science?

Some common mathematical operators used in science include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponents, logarithms, and trigonometric functions. These operators are used to perform calculations and manipulate data to better understand and explain natural phenomena.

3. How do I know which mathematical operator to use?

The choice of mathematical operator depends on the specific problem or question at hand. For example, addition and subtraction are used for combining and comparing data, while multiplication and division are used for scaling and finding proportions. It is important to carefully consider the problem and choose the most appropriate operator to accurately represent the data and answer the question.

4. Can I use more than one mathematical operator in a problem?

Yes, it is common to use multiple mathematical operators in a problem to accurately represent and analyze data. For example, a scientist may use addition and multiplication to calculate the total number of cells in a sample, or use logarithms and exponents to model the growth of a population over time.

5. Are there any limitations to using mathematics in science?

While mathematics is a powerful tool in science, it does have limitations. It is important to remember that mathematical models and equations are simplifications of complex natural phenomena, and may not always accurately represent reality. Additionally, the use of mathematics in science relies on the assumption that the data being analyzed is accurate and unbiased.