When we die what becomes of our intangible memories & experiences?

• Thread starter querilous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memories
In summary, a computer's memories and experiences are preserved after the person using the computer dies. Similar things happen to living and then no longer living people.
querilous
We are taught that in nature, nothing is wasted. Confining ourselves to human beings, when we die our physical bodies get recycled. What becomes of our non-physical memories and experiences?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing gets wasted in a computer, either. What happens to a computer's "intangible" memories and experiences? I'm not so sure a physics site is the place to talk philosophy. And that's what this question is, since no one can really knows how to model our memories or experiences, except perhaps as arbitrary electrical signals and chemical states. Maybe this is a neurology question. Why do you say "non-physical" memories and experiences?

As far as I know, they evaporate as tiny electrical discharges as soon as our brain stops functioning, which is not too long after death. I may be wrong about the details, but I see no reason to expect that they could exist once the brain is dead.

Not EVERYTHING is conserved/preserved. If you take a pile of matchsticks and form them into a geometric shape and then pick them up and put them back in the box, in what sense do you think that geometric shape would be preserved?

Likes PeroK
Where are they going now?? Memory? What memory? );

Leonard Susskind defines conservation of information as the Minus First Law of Physics, I think in his The Black Hole War, that leads to the holographic principle.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Nothing gets wasted in a computer, either. What happens to a computer's "intangible" memories and experiences? I'm not so sure a physics site is the place to talk philosophy. And that's what this question is, since no one can really knows how to model our memories or experiences, except perhaps as arbitrary electrical signals and chemical states. Maybe this is a neurology question. Why do you say "non-physical" memories and experiences?

You do suggest an answer. What happens to the memories and experience of a dead computer? In some cases, developed software published or distributed; and continuing experience of the former users of the computer now dead. Similar for a living and then no longer living person. SIMILAR, but not necessarily identical. A person shared, taught, created, and other people may be influenced from the works of the now dead person...

Since there is no answer, this is purely speculation, closed.

1. What happens to our memories and experiences when we die?

When we die, our physical bodies cease to function, including the brain which stores our memories and experiences. Therefore, our memories and experiences also cease to exist in a tangible form.

2. Do our memories and experiences continue to exist in some form after we die?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that our memories and experiences continue to exist in any form after we die. However, some people believe in the existence of an afterlife or reincarnation, which could potentially include the continuation of memories and experiences.

3. Can our memories and experiences be passed down to future generations?

While we may pass down stories and lessons learned from our memories and experiences to future generations, there is no evidence to suggest that our actual memories and experiences can be inherited by our descendants.

4. Are our memories and experiences stored in our DNA?

No, our memories and experiences are not stored in our DNA. DNA contains genetic information that determines our physical traits, but it does not store memories or experiences.

5. Is it possible to preserve our memories and experiences for future generations?

While we cannot physically preserve our memories and experiences, we can document them through storytelling, writing, or other forms of media. This allows future generations to learn about our experiences and perspectives, but it does not preserve the actual memories themselves.