Would 'you' be in control of a clone of yourself after you die?

• Thread starter johnnya
  • Start date
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I thought maybe the clone seeing as he's the same ...
He's not the same at all.

He is no more the same than, as previously pointed out, two twins are the same person. And we can test that.

Neither do I.

I don't believe in a soul, ghosts or stuff like that. I don't know where you got that idea, cause I didn't say that. I thought maybe the clone seeing as he's the same he would've have the same consciousness, or something like that.
I assumed you must, but I believe you when you state that you do not. Please understand, your posts have been... confusing... when it comes to what you mean by "you" and "control". Based on what you're saying, I think the simple answer is that who you are is a function of your life's experiences, and not just memories... I mean that you are a product of every disease, trauma, unremembered infant experience and environmental influence along with your memories and conscious experiences. This is what makes you, YOU, along with your DNA which forms the topography of the canvas, and limits some of the brush strokes and hues to be used.

Imagine a YOU that is african american in days of slavery in the USA. Now imagine the same you, but born into segregation, then another you born today, and another born in a future where equal rights are TRULY equal. Those three people would have less in common with each other than they would be alike. Does that make sense?

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You haven't even begun to give a plausible mechanism by which some spirit-type object is kept in storage on the off-chance that a clone is created, for the purpose of having its memory wiped to be re-inserted into the new body. All you've done is say "Hey, do you think crazy idea X could be true?"

I assumed you must, but I believe you when you state that you do not. Please understand, your posts have been... confusing...
Lol. Yeah it is, I'm finding it pretty hard to explain what I'm thinking.

This is making no sense.

You agree that when you're dead, you're dead. Let's be explicit: You Are dead.

So how can you claim that You are controlling some clone?

Let me answer that with another question.

I was reading about consciousness some time ago, and they said that we're not sure where it comes from (If we do know, and there's an article or something about this pls share). Now if we don't know where consciousness comes from, how can we tell if we ever were conscious as someone else or not before we were born? Or if we can be conscious as someone else after we die? Without being aware of it of course.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I was reading about consciousness some time ago, and they said that we're not sure where it comes from
We're not sure what processes in the brain create the consciousness. But we're satisfied it is in the brain.

We're not sure what processes in the brain create the consciousness. But we're satisfied it is in the brain.
Exactly. We don't know for sure. That's why I thought that maybe if scientists would somehow manage to create a clone exactly like you after you die he would develop the same consciousness and it would sort of be like you? Or there is no such thing as different consciousness?

Also, since we're on the subject, when do we start to develop our conciousness? Do we know that?

Thanks

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Exactly. We don't know for sure. That's why I thought that maybe if scientists would somehow ...
In the realm of science, consciousness is in the brain. There is no evidence to the contrary and therefore no reason to go looking.

OK, I can see this is going literally nowhere. I'm out.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Also, since we're on the subject, when do we start to develop our conciousness? Do we know that?

Thanks
This depends largely on how you define consciousness. This is a Philosophy of Mind topic, so it is probably best if you start that discussion as a new thread in our https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112".

..I'm finding it pretty hard to explain what I'm thinking.
Then I think this thread is played out (for all the reasons given in the responses) until you want to give it a lot more thought and work out ways to articulate what you are proposing. At this point, I can only see some form of dualism as your escape hatch, and that's going to be hard to defend here.

Last edited by a moderator: