When we say that two algebraic expressions, [tex]f(x_1,x_2,\cdots

In summary, when two algebraic expressions are considered identical, it means that for all values of the variables, the expressions will have the same value. This applies even in cases where one expression may not seem identical to the other, such as in the case of x^2+x and 0 in Z^2. There may be some differences in notation and understanding, but the concept remains the same.
dalcde
When we say that two algebraic expressions, [tex]f(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)[/tex], [tex]g(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)[/tex] are identical, or
[tex]f(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)\equiv g(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)[/tex], we mean (according to my textbook) that [tex]\forall x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n: f(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)=g(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)[/tex]
However, does that mean that
[tex]x^2+x\equiv0[/tex]
in [tex]Z^2[/tex]?

If not, does it mean that
[tex]f(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)\equiv g(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)\Leftrightarrow\forall\phi: \phi(f(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n))=\phi(g(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n))[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org

dalcde said:
When we say that two algebraic expressions, [tex]f(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)[/tex], [tex]g(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)[/tex] are identical, or
[tex]f(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)\equiv g(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)[/tex], we mean (according to my textbook) that [tex]\forall x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n: f(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)=g(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)[/tex]
[tex]x^2+x\equiv0[/tex]
in [tex]Z^2[/tex]?

[tex]f(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)\equiv g(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n)\Leftrightarrow\forall\phi: \phi(f(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n))=\phi(g(x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n))[/tex]

Are you talking about number theoretic congruences? If so you need a modulus to be defined if this is the case.

Assuming this is the case I imagine that under congruences the strength of your phi relation may not hold in general.

Take for example mod 10. 3 Mod 10 = 3 and phi(3) = 2. 13 Mod 10 = 3 but phi(13) = 12 (since both are primes).

Is this what you mean? Maybe it isn't though, so some feedback would be appreciated.

I'm talking about the identities in the simple high-school sense, in case that's what you are asking.

My [tex]\phi[/tex]s are propositional functions, which return a true or false answer. For example, [tex]\phi(f(x))[/tex] might be the statement "f(x) is a polynomial with degree 2", in which it is true for [tex]x^2+x[/tex] but not 0. I got that notation from Principia Mathematica (by the way, I surrendered after reading less than half a volume - it was too tough). Please tell me if my notation is too outdated.

dalcde said:
I'm talking about the identities in the simple high-school sense, in case that's what you are asking.

My [tex]\phi[/tex]s are propositional functions, which return a true or false answer. For example, [tex]\phi(f(x))[/tex] might be the statement "f(x) is a polynomial with degree 2", in which it is true for [tex]x^2+x[/tex] but not 0. I got that notation from Principia Mathematica (by the way, I surrendered after reading less than half a volume - it was too tough). Please tell me if my notation is too outdated.

Ohh ok no worries. I'm doing a cryptography course at the moment so phi's to me are the Euler totient function and I put your post in the context of number theory due to your congruence symbols.

I'm not really qualified to answer your question since I'm unfamiliar with the notation. The principia is an old document though. But if liebniz notation has survived this long, maybe the notation in the principia has a chance :)

dalcde said:
[tex]x^2+x\equiv0[/tex]

in [tex]Z^2[/tex]?
Yes, by your textbook definition.

You need to understand the difference between a function [itex]\phi[/itex] whose arguments are the values of [itex]f[/itex] (i.e. all possible values, depending on the values of [itex]x_1,x_2,\cdots x_n[/itex]), and a function whose argument is the function [itex]f[/itex] itself.

IIRC Principia uses the different notations

[tex]\phi f[/tex] and

[tex]\hat\phi f[/tex]

when the difference is important.

1. What does it mean when we say that two algebraic expressions are equivalent?

When we say that two algebraic expressions are equivalent, it means that they have the same value for every possible input. In other words, if you were to replace the variables in both expressions with the same values, the resulting expressions would have the same numerical value.

2. How can we determine if two algebraic expressions are equivalent?

To determine if two algebraic expressions are equivalent, you can simplify both expressions and see if the resulting expressions are identical. Another method is to use algebraic properties, such as the distributive property or the commutative property, to manipulate the expressions until they are in the same form.

3. Can two algebraic expressions be equivalent but look different?

Yes, two algebraic expressions can be equivalent but look different. This is because there are many different ways to write an algebraic expression and still have it represent the same mathematical relationship. For example, [tex]x^2 + 2x + 1[/tex] and [tex](x + 1)^2[/tex] are equivalent expressions, but they look different.

4. What is the difference between equivalent and identical algebraic expressions?

Equivalent algebraic expressions have the same value for every possible input, while identical algebraic expressions are exactly the same in every way. In other words, identical expressions are a specific type of equivalent expression where the expressions are exactly the same, including their form and structure.

5. Why is it important to understand equivalent algebraic expressions?

Understanding equivalent algebraic expressions is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations more easily. It also helps us recognize patterns and relationships between different algebraic expressions, making it easier to solve more advanced mathematical problems.