Where can we find a summary of the discoveries of every year

• Thread starter jonjacson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, the most important discoveries last year were in nuclear physics and quantum chromodynamics.
jonjacson
¿Where can we find a summary of the discoveries of every year?

Hi

I was thinking in which were the most important discoveries last year, for example, and I have to recognize that I have no idea.

I suppose that if you read newspapers, magazines... you will learn a lot, but in a year there are a lot of news, and into physics there are a lot of subdisciplines.

I would like to know if exists some kind of qualitative summary of the discoveries of every year, categorised in paragraphs , I mean you can make a search like this:

Year: 2006

Category: Nuclear physics

Or:

Year: 2008

Category: quantum chromodynamicsThanks for the answers

Physics news on Phys.org

jonjacson said:
Hi

I was thinking in which were the most important discoveries last year, for example, and I have to recognize that I have no idea.

I suppose that if you read newspapers, magazines... you will learn a lot, but in a year there are a lot of news, and into physics there are a lot of subdisciplines.

I would like to know if exists some kind of qualitative summary of the discoveries of every year, categorised in paragraphs , I mean you can make a search like this:

Year: 2006

Category: Nuclear physics

Or:

Year: 2008

Category: quantum chromodynamics

Thanks for the answers

The weekly magazine Science News used to have an annual summary issue that was pretty comprehensive. I'll see if I can find a link...

Here's the magazine's website, but I didn't see any obvious links to the annual summary issues:

http://www.sciencenews.org/

Almost for sure you local university library will have hard copies, though. Check it out.

I would investigate with spires

berkeman said:
Here's the magazine's website, but I didn't see any obvious links to the annual summary issues:

http://www.sciencenews.org/

Almost for sure you local university library will have hard copies, though. Check it out.

Interesting, I will search in my university tomorrow for some printed material.

Evo said:
This one lists all science discoveries but it only goes back a few years.

http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/

Great link, very similar to what I was searching for , here an example:

http://www.nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=114372&org=NSF

But I have a doubt, ¿Is it a general resource? ¿Or is it related only with NSF supported advances?.

I mean ¿can I find something discovered at cern? (for example cern, or any other source)

humanino said:
I would investigate with spires

Nice too, most cited articles of the year, is not a review itself but can help you to find most important articles, appreciated.

1. Where can I find a summary of the discoveries of every year?

There are several reputable sources for finding a summary of the discoveries made each year. One option is to visit the website of a scientific journal, such as Nature or Science, which often publish annual summaries of the most groundbreaking discoveries in their respective fields. Another option is to visit the website of a major science organization, such as the National Science Foundation or the American Association for the Advancement of Science, which also release annual summaries of top discoveries.

2. Is there a database that compiles all scientific discoveries from every year?

There are several databases that aim to compile all scientific discoveries, but it is important to note that it is nearly impossible to capture every single discovery made each year. Some databases, such as the Web of Science or Scopus, have extensive coverage of scientific literature and allow for searching by year. Others, like PubMed, focus specifically on biomedical research.

3. Can I find a summary of scientific discoveries by topic or field?

Yes, many sources provide summaries of discoveries by topic or field. For example, science news websites like ScienceDaily or Phys.org often have sections dedicated to specific topics, such as astronomy or biology, where they highlight the most significant discoveries in those fields. Additionally, many scientific journals have sections dedicated to specific fields and may release annual summary articles or issues focused on that topic.

4. Are there any resources for finding the most important scientific discoveries in a specific year?

Yes, there are several resources that provide lists or articles on the most important scientific discoveries in a given year. Some examples include Time magazine's "Top 10 Scientific Discoveries" list, the New York Times' annual "Year in Science" article, and the BBC's "Science Highlights" series. These lists often feature a diverse range of discoveries from various fields of science.

5. How can I stay updated on the latest scientific discoveries?

One of the best ways to stay updated on the latest scientific discoveries is to follow reputable science news sources, such as those mentioned above, on social media or through email newsletters. Another option is to regularly check the websites of major scientific journals or organizations, as they often publish news articles or press releases about groundbreaking discoveries. Attending conferences or talks in your field of interest can also provide opportunities to learn about the latest discoveries and research.