1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where could I know something about the active mathematician of a certain field?

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    Where could I know something about the active mathematician of a certain field??

Dear Folks:
    Half year later, it will be the application season. I intend to choose representation theory for my major. Where can I find some information about the active mathematicians in this field?? Many thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2012 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Where could I know something about the active mathematician of a certain field??

One way to learn names of some very top people is to look at those who spoke or presented at the international congress recently. You could also look on the web sites of schools that interest you and see what specialties the faculty have, and read their vitae for recent activity.

Here is a website with the names of the editorial board of the journal Representation Theory, from the AMS.

http://www.ams.org/publications/journals/journalsframework/ertedit

As I expected, David Vogan's name is there. You could even email some of these people and ask for recommendations of schools, including a little about yourself. You could also ask people near you, at your school for example.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. Apr 12, 2012 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Where could I know something about the active mathematician of a certain field??

What kind of representation theory are you interested in?

5. Apr 14, 2012 #4

I'm a bit ashamed to say I've just learned a little about representation theory. I've only read part of the books on representation theory of lie algebras of finite dimentions - Lie groups beyond an introduction by Knapp. There is so much left to learn and a long way to go. I plan to read more on representation theory in my last year at college, something like Representation of semisimple groups by Knapp. I've already known that represetation theory is related with many other branches, so before I study them rigorously, I have to read something else like algebraic topology and modular forms.

6. Apr 14, 2012 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's no reason to be ashamed. I only wanted to know what flavor of the subject you enjoy before suggesting people/schools.

Perhaps you can read up on the different types of representation theory and then let me know which ones strike your fancy. If you're not sure where to begin, I can make some suggestions.

7. Apr 14, 2012 #6

Many Thanks!! You are right about my confusion on what to learn next after I've learned representation theory on lie algebras of finite dimensions. I know there is a branch of representation theory which relates to number theory - representation theory of p-adic group, but I want to learn something sharing more connection with topology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook