Where did the extra 8 come from in the derivation for density of states?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
iampaul
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
I tried to follow the derivation, but I got a different result
I was looking for a derivation for the density of states and I came across this page: https://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter2/ch2_4.htm

I followed the derivation and came up with:
g(E) = (1/L3)dN/dE
= (1/L3)L3/∏2*k2 * dk/dE
=K2/∏2 * dk/dE
=K2/∏2 *
g(E) = (∏√2/h3)*m3/2*√2but the book gives:
g(E) = (8∏√2/h3)*m3/2*√2

where did the extra 8 come from?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your math. You miss some factors ##\pi##.
The 8 comes from the ##\ \hbar^3\ ## and ##\ \hbar = {h\over2\pi}##
 
BvU said:
Check your math. You miss some factors ##\pi##.
The 8 comes from the ##\ \hbar^3\ ## and ##\ \hbar = {h\over2\pi}##
Thanks, I've been plugging in ##\ \hbar = {h\over\pi}##.