1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where does Gravitation equals zero?

1. May 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So a 1kg mass and a 2kg mass are placed 10m away from eachother, somewhere in between them the force of gravity cancles out. Where would am object with a mass of m be placed so that it is not affected by either of the 1kg and 2kg masses?

2. Relevant equations

Not sure, something with gravitation,rotational motion, angular velocity Ect.

3. The attempt at a solution

F=G*m1(m)/r

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your formula is not quite right; see: Gravity

All you need to worry about is the force of gravity. Hint: Will the ƩF = 0 point will be closer to the 1 kg mass or the 2 kg mass?

4. May 7, 2013 #3
    The 1 kg mass of course, but I don't know where to go from there :(

5. May 7, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good!

Call the distance to the 1 kg mass "x". What is the force of gravity from the 1 kg mass at that point?

If the distance to the 1 kg mass is x, what would be the distance to the 2 kg mass? What is the gravitational force from the 2 kg mass at that point?

Solve for the distance that makes the net force zero.

6. May 7, 2013 #5
    I've tried but I can't solve for the distance, the furthest I've gotten is this

Fg=G*(m1(m2))/r^2

0=6.67*10^-11(2/x^2)

7. May 7, 2013 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't it a bit weird that your formula for the force of gravity doesn't involve the mass m of the object we are looking at?

There are two sources of gravity, each of them acts on the object in a different direction.

8. May 7, 2013 #7
    I got 1.7 meters for x

9. May 7, 2013 #8
    I probably did something wrong

10. May 7, 2013 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pls post your working, not just the numeric answer. Preferably, do all the working in symbols, only plugging in numbers at the end. Follow Doc Al's recipe.

11. May 7, 2013 #10
    I really don't know what I did

12. May 7, 2013 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Then start again, following Doc Al's recipe. Answer each question in turn, as far as you can:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted