Where does one start with differential equations?

In summary, Hamzah is a programmer who is trying to learn more about fluid simulation, but is having a difficult time due to a lack of understanding of the subject. He has found help by going to the Open Source Physics website and reading articles on differential equations, but is looking for more direct help. He has also heard good things about Khan Academy, so he may try that next.
superduckdude
Hi,

So, I'm a programmer with a deep interest in simulations and mechanics and I'm currently trying to delve into a bit of fluid simulation.
To set the scene, I'm completely new to this field and my searches so far have yielded such things as 'Stokes-Navier equations' which no doubt sound familiar to some of you, but flew straight over my head.
Reading a bit and realising I had no idea what PDEs, or even DEs for that matter, were, I backtracked to the point where I got to MIT OCW Lec1 - Differential Equations.
However, I'm still dumbstruck as to what differential equations are, what they do, and how to solve them.

I'd appreciate any advice on where I could start learning about these things to get a solid understanding.

Cheers,

Hamzah

(also, if you're worried about me being 'new to the scene', don't worry, I've had plenty of experience in basic Newtonian mechanics (ballistics, celestial sims etc.) so this shouldn't be a problem)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Since you're into simulations checkout the Open Source Physics site. They have a collection Java code that does sims with many examples.

A differential equation describes the rates of change of one or more variables with respect to other variables and their rates of change.

You can read a summary about on Wikipedia.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_equation

The open source physics examples basically integrate some differential equation that describes the simulation rates of change and displays the results numerically or graphically or visually.

Ah, I've had a look through this stuff and it looks like I'll be having to learn Calculus 1,2,3 + a bunch of other stuff in order to have the world of physics at my fingertips.
Do you know of any place (on here) were I can post about specific mechanics I wish to learn (fluid simulation in particular)?
At the moment I'm trying to come up with something like this and I could do with guiding hand from people versed in the art.

superduckdude said:
Ah, I've had a look through this stuff and it looks like I'll be having to learn Calculus 1,2,3 + a bunch of other stuff in order to have the world of physics at my fingertips.
Do you know of any place (on here) were I can post about specific mechanics I wish to learn (fluid simulation in particular)?
At the moment I'm trying to come up with something like this and I could do with guiding hand from people versed in the art.

If you are hoping to do fluid simulations and the like (remember the Navier-Stokes equations?), learning Calc 1, 2, 3 will be the least of your worries, insofar as mathematical preparation is concerned.

Solving ordinary differential equations numerically is relatively basic and well understood. Solving PDEs numerically represents another level of difficulty, especially when these equations are used to describe 2-D and 3-D flows. The numerical techniques used to solve PDEs bear little resemblance to those techniques used to solve ODEs. Often, one can find an analytical solution to an ODE which can be used to check a numerical solution; for most PDEs, analytical solutions often do not exist or are otherwise unknown.

Is there a Royal Road to the knowledge you seek, one which will not present too much difficulty? None that I know of.

Also, try Khan academy. It's good as an introduction, at least for me, that I'm taking DiffEq right now this semester.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that contains one or more derivatives of an unknown function. It relates the changes in the value of the unknown function to its current value and other relevant variables.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are used to model and describe many phenomena in science and engineering, such as motion, heat transfer, population dynamics, and electrical circuits. They are also essential in solving real-world problems and making predictions.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

The main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations (ODEs), which involve a single independent variable, and partial differential equations (PDEs), which involve multiple independent variables. ODEs can further be classified as linear or nonlinear, and first-order or higher-order. PDEs can be classified based on the number of independent variables and the highest derivative involved.

4. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some ODEs can be solved analytically using integration and other mathematical techniques. For more complicated equations, numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method, and finite difference methods can be used. PDEs often require more advanced techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods.

5. What are some applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and study physical systems, predict the behavior of complex systems, and design efficient solutions to real-world problems. Some examples of applications include predicting population growth, designing control systems for aircraft, and simulating climate change.