Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where does the sky end

1. Dec 7, 2006 #1
    Is there any end to the sky?Why do we think that if the universe is expanding then it had exploded from a single object?Why not think there is some extra force outside this universe making it expand?Can anybody imagine what the end of the sky or space would be like(may be a beginning of a space where time doesn't move neither front nor back).Is there any research going on in this context?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2006 #2
    Yes, there is. To my knowledge, there is a actually a lot of research going on in this area. For a interesting introduction to something related, the Elegant Universe provides a useful tool.

The Elegant Universe

4. Dec 8, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

An entire branch of science is devoted to it: cosmology.

5. Dec 8, 2006 #4
    The Elegant Universe describes our universe in terms of super string theory and m-theory. Neither of those theoretical paradigms have developed any real evidences or predictions to empirically validate those theories as physical. M-Theory and Super string theory are extremely beautiful and elegant, however, they are only mathematical models with no tangible foundation in physical reality.

The best way for someone to begin understanding the universe is through General Theory of Relativity and The Big Bang Model.

http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_uni/uni_101bb1.html

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  6. Dec 8, 2006 #5

hellfire

Science Advisor

You may be interested in the section "So if the universe is not infinite, then what does it look like?" of this page.

7. Dec 9, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

As much as I think it is one of the best books I've read on the subject, I don't think it's for the beginner. I've read years of stuff and it bruised my brain even the second time I read through it. I think there's a lot of stuff the OP nees to pick up before tEU will be comprehensible.

8. Dec 9, 2006 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Our best guess suggests the universe probably has a slight curvature. Stephen Hawking referred to this in his description of a finite, but unbounded universe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?