Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where in the universe am I absolutely still ?

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    The question is quite simple where in the universe I would be completely at rest. Not moving at all. I ask the question because if everything is accelerating from a single point does that mean my mass is greater than if I was totally stationary? If the whole universe suddenly became stationary what would happen? Other than the old entropy devil would the mass decrease? And do we contain potential energy from the big bang?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2
    No where are you completely at rest. The molecules you are composed of are constantly vibrating back and forth, indefinitely, as that is their nature. Yes your mass is insignificantly greater since it's moving, but I can not stress insignificant enough. As for the potential energy, if there was in fact a 'big bang' than I believe from the theory all energy in the universe would need to stem from the energy inside that event.

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

First, there IS no such place. All motion is relative.

Second, things are NOT accelerating from a single point. That's Television physics, not real physics.

5. Mar 22, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The bolded part has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there is no such thing as absolute rest. There is no such thing as absolute rest because there is no such thing as absolute motion.

6. Mar 22, 2013 #5
    Not at quantum level at Newtonian level, I want my mass to be absolute, no potential energy, and no acceleration

7. Mar 22, 2013 #6
    No such thing. It's all relative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook