Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where in trig are we taught Asin(θ+ø) = Bsinθ+Ccosθ?

1. Feb 12, 2014 #1
    My undergrad senior-year Mechanical Vibrations book tells me that I should remember the notion that Asin(θ+ø) can also be represented in the form of Bsinθ+Ccosθ (and other linear combinations of sines and cosines), from high-school trigonometry class. However, I was never taught this in my high-school. I even read a lot of material and watched a lot of YouTube videos on trigonometry in my high-school years, but the notion that Asin(θ+ø) can also be represented in the form of Bsinθ+Ccosθ etc never came up.

I am just wondering where exactly in a average high-school curriculum are we taught this notion? Answer of one or two sentences would be enough.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2014 #2
    It's the angle addition formula for sine; $$A\sin(\theta+\phi)=A\sin\theta\cos\phi+A\cos\theta\sin\phi=B\sin \theta +C\cos\theta$$ where $$B=A\cos\phi\text{ and } C=A\sin\phi$$

So I guess that exact formula maybe isn't something that you saw in trig, but it follows immediately from one that you most definitely should have seen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook