Where Should I Install an Electric Holding Brake on a Gearbox-Motor System?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jaypi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Application
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
jaypi
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Quick one
If I have an electric motor with a gear box (what ever ratio) and I want to install an electric holding brake will my holding power be greater if the brake is installed on the output shaft of the gearbox or the shaft of the driving motor to the gearbox ?

my educated guess is that the holding tork will be multiplied by the ratio of the gearbox so holding will be greater if installed on the driving motor I am I right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
for your info

I was right in my assumtion
holding tork is directly proportional to the gear box reduction ratio
so holding power is greater if I put the brake on the input side (motor) than the output of the gear box
 
You are right the brake should be installed on motor shaft only
 
Not trying to be a spelling nazi, but:
Torque.

:)