Which acid was used to get this graph?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the correct answer for a chemistry problem involving acids and bases. The person asking the question is unsure if they chose the correct answer, but the expert summarizer confirms that they are correct in choosing C. The conversation also discusses the initial pH and the concentration of H+ in the solution.
TT0

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 1.57.35 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose C as if a strong "something" is added to a weak "something" then you won't get a strong curve. So acetic acid will be eliminated. If D or E was added, the equivalence point should have pH of 7 or less. Therefore I chose C. Is this correct? As the type of base and molarity of it is not indicated, I assumed it was NaOH and 1 M.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Initial pH of 1 - what does it tell you about the concentration of the H+? About concentration of the acid?

Actually the shape of the curve (especially after the equivalence point) is wrong.

Likes TT0
This means the concentration of H+ is 0.1 M. Therefore D is the answer, right? So I guess the base and the graph curve aren't needed, only the initial pH.

Thanks!

TT0 said:
the concentration of H+ is 0.1 M. Therefore D is the answer

D, which says "1M"?

Likes TT0
Whoops, I meant C. Sorry and thanks!

1. What is the purpose of using acid in this graph?

The purpose of using acid in this graph is to analyze its effect on a certain variable or phenomenon. Acids are commonly used in experiments to observe their properties and understand their behavior.

2. How was the acid chosen for this graph?

The acid used in this graph was chosen based on its chemical properties and its potential to produce a measurable change in the variable being studied. The selection of acid also depends on the research question and the desired outcome of the experiment.

3. What type of acid was used in this graph?

The type of acid used in this graph can vary depending on the research being conducted. It could be a strong acid, such as sulfuric acid or hydrochloric acid, or a weak acid, such as acetic acid or citric acid. The choice of acid depends on the experiment and its goals.

4. How was the concentration of acid determined for this graph?

The concentration of acid used in this graph was determined based on the desired level of acidity for the experiment. This can be calculated using the molarity (M) of the acid solution and the volume of acid needed for the experiment. The concentration of acid can greatly affect the results of the experiment.

5. What precautions were taken when handling the acid for this graph?

When handling acid for an experiment, it is important to take necessary safety precautions to prevent any accidents or mishaps. This may include wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper handling and disposal procedures. The specific precautions taken may vary depending on the type and concentration of acid used.