Which compound is LESS stable?

• Thread starter mnnob07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stable
In summary, the conversation discusses two simple compounds with the same number of C, H, and O atoms. The task was to identify the least stable compound and explain why. One person picked the first compound as less stable due to formal charges and familiarity with hydrogen bonds. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering oxidation states in these types of problems.
mnnob07
below are two simple compounds. this is from a first semester general chemistry test and there were four compounds total all with the same number of C H and O we had to tell which one was least stable and why.

I don't remember the other two because both had a formal charge of 0 on everything while these two had a +1 on the O (most of the time not a good sign) and -1 on the C.

I picked the first one as less stable because of the formal charges and because I was used to seeing the hydrogen atoms bonded to the C.

Can anyone tell me if I was right and what is the best way to approach these problems aside from straight formal charges?

Attachments

• chemistry_e73460a0982d798e48b7e2efa8d846cf.jpg
    chemistry_e73460a0982d798e48b7e2efa8d846cf.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the top carbon have a hydrogen on it? Please make sure that all structures have the right numbers of hydrogen.

What do you mean? notice that there are two structures separated by a bit of whitespace. The top structure has no hydrogens on the carbons. Would you like me to draw the lone pairs?

I drew the lone pairs on the top one:

Attachments

• chemistry_7fd8803bfdbb9e59c928e9a12919b000.jpg
    chemistry_7fd8803bfdbb9e59c928e9a12919b000.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 480
This problem is a test of your understanding of the concept of oxidation states - there a rules in calculating these values and it does involve considering the formal charge - oxidation states also takes into account the type of atoms that a particular central atom is bonded to as well as its bonding arrangement while formal charge takes into account soley the bonding arrangement of the particular atom.

Last edited:

What is stability in chemistry?

In chemistry, stability refers to the ability of a compound to resist change or decomposition under a certain set of conditions. It is a measure of how likely a compound is to remain unchanged over time.

How is stability determined?

Stability is determined by factors such as bond strength, molecular structure, and external conditions such as temperature and pressure. Generally, compounds with strong bonds and a favorable structure are more stable.

What is the difference between stability and reactivity?

Stability and reactivity are two opposite properties of a compound. Stability refers to the tendency of a compound to remain unchanged, while reactivity refers to the tendency of a compound to undergo a chemical reaction. A compound can be stable and reactive at the same time, depending on the conditions.

Which compound is less stable?

The stability of a compound depends on its structure and the conditions it is exposed to. Generally, compounds with weaker bonds and/or unfavorable structures are less stable than those with stronger bonds and favorable structures. However, it is not always possible to determine which compound is less stable without considering specific conditions.

How does stability affect a compound's properties?

Stability plays a crucial role in determining a compound's physical and chemical properties. More stable compounds tend to have higher melting and boiling points, as well as lower reactivity. They are also less likely to decompose or undergo a chemical reaction, making them more suitable for various applications in industry and research.