1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which compound is LESS stable?

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    below are two simple compounds. this is from a first semester general chemistry test and there were four compounds total all with the same number of C H and O we had to tell which one was least stable and why.

I don't remember the other two because both had a formal charge of 0 on everything while these two had a +1 on the O (most of the time not a good sign) and -1 on the C.

I picked the first one as less stable because of the formal charges and because I was used to seeing the hydrogen atoms bonded to the C.

Can anyone tell me if I was right and what is the best way to approach these problems aside from straight formal charges?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does the top carbon have a hydrogen on it? Please make sure that all structures have the right numbers of hydrogen.

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3
    What do you mean? notice that there are two structures seperated by a bit of whitespace. The top structure has no hydrogens on the carbons. Would you like me to draw the lone pairs?

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    I drew the lone pairs on the top one:

Attached Files:

6. Apr 23, 2008 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This problem is a test of your understanding of the concept of oxidation states - there a rules in calculating these values and it does involve considering the formal charge - oxidation states also takes into account the type of atoms that a particular central atom is bonded to as well as its bonding arrangement while formal charge takes into account soley the bonding arrangement of the particular atom.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?