Which forces maintain the shape of the Milky Way?

In summary: It says that spiral galaxies can lose their arms and become lenticular disk galaxies.There doesn't seen to be a settled theory.
KurtLudwig
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
In billions of years, stars could just move any which way. Eventually, the shape of our spiral galaxy would be lost.
Gravity, inertia, conservation of momentum and angular momentum are some of the forces and conserved quantities that I could think of which will tend to maintain the shape of the Milky Way.
How is the separation of the spiral arms maintained?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
KurtLudwig said:
How is the separation of the spiral arms maintained?
I think you misunderstand the nature of the spiral arms.

They are not fixed strands as they appear in drawings but rather a result of a "wave" process that is like what happens when cars start bunching up on a highway for no apparent reason and then scatter again only to later bunch up again but with a different set of cars.

That is, the stars in a spiral arm change over time as different stars move at slightly different speeds in their orbit.

Likes stefan r, bonifaceaw, Imager and 2 others
Gravity (mostly dark matter) holds the galaxy together.

They are not fixed strands as they appear in drawings but rather a result of a "wave" process that is like what happens when cars start bunching up on a highway for no apparent reason and then scatter again only to later bunch up again but with a different set of cars. (phinds)

It is very interesting that the separately appearing spirals are the results of galactic dynamics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes bonifaceaw and BillTre
Here's a couple of animations for reference. Notice how individual stars move in and out of the spiral arms. The arms are not a solid, fixed object, just a wave crest.

Likes bonifaceaw, Klystron, Imager and 3 others
KurtLudwig said:
It is very interesting that the separately appearing spirals are the results of galactic dynamics.
Yes, just as it is interesting that cars do the same thing. It's one of the reasons, or so I've read, that self-driving cars that talk to one another will be more efficient than human driven cars, because they won't DO that. I've seen the "bunches" on highways get to be miles long and a major annoyance.

Likes BillTre
phinds said:
I've seen the "bunches" on highways get to be miles long and a major annoyance.
And last as much as five hours after the triggering incident is loooong gone.
I read a book on the subject.

Likes KurtLudwig and BillTre
DaveC426913 said:
And last as much as five hours after the triggering incident is loooong gone.
I read a book on the subject.
The point of the wave theory is that there doesn't have to BE a "triggering" incident such as an accident on the other side of the highway, although such things DO tend to cause the worst bunching

• Informative
Likes KurtLudwig and DaveC426913

Likes KurtLudwig
Both YouTube videos simulating the evolution of spiral arms were very interesting.

Quote: "Gravity (mostly dark matter) holds the galaxy together."

How is dark matter distributed across the Milky Way galaxy? Is it like a flat pumpkin or a donut? It probably has a more complex shape.

But what causes the spiral arms to appear? I mean gravity dominates of course, but what distribution of gravitational forces causes this? It doesn't appear to be necessary as plenty of galaxies aren't spirals.

JLowe said:
But what causes the spiral arms to appear? I mean gravity dominates of course, but what distribution of gravitational forces causes this? It doesn't appear to be necessary as plenty of galaxies aren't spirals.
What part of post #2 did you not understand? Not all galaxies are disk-shaped and even for disk-shaped, there is no requirement that spirals form just as there is no requirement that traffic waves form.

phinds said:
What part of post #2 did you not understand? Not all galaxies are disk-shaped and even for disk-shaped, there is no requirement that spirals form just as there is no requirement that traffic waves form.

Ok thanks, I realize my mistake and should have just used google to begin with, which does, of course, give much better answers.

JLowe said:
Ok thanks, I realize my mistake and should have just used google to begin with, which does, of course, give much better answers.
Hm? Near as I can tell, Google gets you to exactly what post #2 says. Did you find something else?

phinds said:
Hm? Near as I can tell, Google gets you to exactly what post #2 says. Did you find something else?

Yes they are both density waves, but the underlying mechanism is different, which is what I was trying to understand. Density waves on the highway can start by any number things, and since stars don't drop their cigarettes on the floorboard and start swerving all over the road causing other stars to slam on brakes, I only assumed a different reason for such waves appearing in disk shaped galaxies.

1. What are the main forces that maintain the shape of the Milky Way?

The main forces that maintain the shape of the Milky Way are gravity, rotation, and the galactic disk. Gravity is responsible for holding the stars and gas together in a stable orbit, while rotation helps to maintain the overall shape of the galaxy. The galactic disk, which is made up of stars, gas, and dust, also plays a role in shaping the Milky Way.

2. How does gravity contribute to maintaining the shape of the Milky Way?

Gravity is the most dominant force in the universe and it plays a crucial role in maintaining the shape of the Milky Way. The gravitational force between stars and gas holds them together in a stable orbit around the center of the galaxy. This helps to prevent the stars from flying off into space and keeps the galaxy in a relatively stable shape.

3. Can the rotation of the Milky Way affect its shape?

Yes, the rotation of the Milky Way does have an impact on its shape. As the galaxy rotates, the centrifugal force causes the outer parts of the galaxy to bulge outwards, giving it a disk-like shape. This rotation also helps to keep the galaxy in a relatively stable shape by counteracting the inward pull of gravity.

4. How does the galactic disk contribute to the shape of the Milky Way?

The galactic disk, which is made up of stars, gas, and dust, plays a crucial role in maintaining the shape of the Milky Way. The disk is responsible for the spiral arms and the overall flattened shape of the galaxy. It also helps to distribute the mass of the galaxy evenly, which contributes to its stability.

5. Are there any other forces that contribute to maintaining the shape of the Milky Way?

While gravity, rotation, and the galactic disk are the main forces that maintain the shape of the Milky Way, there are other factors that can also play a role. These include the influence of neighboring galaxies, dark matter, and the expansion of the universe. However, their contribution to the overall shape of the Milky Way is still being studied and understood.