1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which is warmer-dark sunglasses or reading glasses

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    1. Sun falls both on a pair of reading glasses and a dark pair of sunglasses. Which pair would you expect to become warmer? defend you anser.

At first it reminded me of the white car, black car type question.
    But then I realised sunglasses are meant to block UV ray, etc. and are usually polarized. So would that mean that the reading glasses would become warmer as they have nothing to 'block' the heat from the sun or would it be the darker sunglasses because they absorb and filter the UV rays and heat???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2
    If well defined, this is a very easy experiment to do. Then you'll know for certain.

4. Sep 23, 2009 #3
    It is a little too late for an experiment. I missed this question in my assignment which is due in 7hrs. is it possible you could explain it further?

5. Sep 23, 2009 #4
    It's never too late for an experiment. Take the two glasses and put them equally far from a 100W incandescent bulb. If you don't have sunglasses, find two drinking glasses, one clear and one dark green, red, whatever and try that. If you don't have any of that, go out to the nearesr parking lot and stare at tinted windshields and ask your self why.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook