Which Major to Choose? Engineering Degrees for Biomechanics/Biomedicine

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Kamui
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Major
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Kamui
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi all, so a little about me first. I'm a freshman in a local CC looking to pursue a degree in engineering. Ultimately I want to work with and or study biomechanics/biomedicine, should I get my degree in BME or one of the broader fields of eng. like ECE, MechE, ChemE? I've heard that most employers are against hiring BME's because the curriculum offered at most schools is weak compared to the other degree programs mentioned, and what usually happens is they aggregate a variety of engineers to work on a project. Anyway, what do you think?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest acquiring a BS in mechanical engineering and then finding a masters program that would be tailored to your focus. Additionally, work for a bit as an ME before you start any masters program. You will have a better idea as to which classes will enable you to perform well at your job (assuming you find an entry level job in biomechanics/medicine).
 
I would recommend considering biomaterials specialization, that would be within a materials science and engineering degree.