Which Major to Choose? Engineering Degrees for Biomechanics/Biomedicine

• Programs
  • Thread starter Kamui
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the conversation is about a freshman in a local community college who wants to pursue a degree in engineering, specifically in the field of biomechanics/biomedicine. They are unsure if they should get a degree in BME or one of the broader fields of engineering. The speaker suggests getting a BS in mechanical engineering and then finding a tailored masters program in their desired focus. They also recommend gaining work experience before pursuing a masters program to have a better understanding of the relevant classes. They also suggest considering a biomaterials specialization within a materials science and engineering degree.
Kamui
Hi all, so a little about me first. I'm a freshman in a local CC looking to pursue a degree in engineering. Ultimately I want to work with and or study biomechanics/biomedicine, should I get my degree in BME or one of the broader fields of eng. like ECE, MechE, ChemE? I've heard that most employers are against hiring BME's because the curriculum offered at most schools is weak compared to the other degree programs mentioned, and what usually happens is they aggregate a variety of engineers to work on a project. Anyway, what do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest acquiring a BS in mechanical engineering and then finding a masters program that would be tailored to your focus. Additionally, work for a bit as an ME before you start any masters program. You will have a better idea as to which classes will enable you to perform well at your job (assuming you find an entry level job in biomechanics/medicine).

I would recommend considering biomaterials specialization, that would be within a materials science and engineering degree.

1. What is biomechanics/biomedicine?

Biomechanics is the study of the mechanics of living organisms, while biomedicine is the application of biology and other natural sciences to clinical practice. In the context of engineering, biomechanics and biomedicine involve applying engineering principles and techniques to understand and improve the functioning of biological systems.

2. What is the difference between biomechanics and biomedicine engineering?

Biomechanics engineering focuses on the analysis and design of mechanical systems within living organisms, while biomedicine engineering focuses on the development and use of technology for medical and healthcare purposes. However, the two fields often overlap and work together to improve human health and performance.

3. Are there different types of engineering degrees for biomechanics/biomedicine?

Yes, there are various types of engineering degrees that specialize in biomechanics and biomedicine. Some common options include biomedical engineering, biomechanical engineering, and bioengineering. These degrees may have different focuses and coursework, but all involve the application of engineering principles to biological systems.

4. What career opportunities are available with a degree in biomechanics/biomedicine engineering?

Graduates with a degree in biomechanics/biomedicine engineering can pursue a variety of career paths in industries such as healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and research. Some potential job titles include biomedical engineer, medical devices engineer, biomechanical engineer, and research scientist.

5. How do I decide which major to choose in the field of biomechanics/biomedicine engineering?

To decide which major is right for you, it's important to research and understand the different specializations and career opportunities within the field. Consider your interests, strengths, and goals, and talk to professionals and students in the field to get a better understanding of each major. It can also be helpful to take introductory courses in different areas to see which one you enjoy the most.