Which markings coincide on two metre rulers at different temperatures?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
leena19
Messages
184
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two metre rulers made of metal of linear expansivity 25*10-6/degrees C are calibrated at 0 deg celsius.
One end of each of the metre rulers is fixed to a vertical wall and held side by side horizontally.
One of the meter rulers is maintained at 0 deg.C and the other at 100 deg C,which two scale markings coincide with each other ?

(ans: 40 & 40.1cm)


Homework Equations



l = l0 (1+ alpha*theta)

The Attempt at a Solution



For the metre ruler kept at 100deg.C ,
l = l0 (1+ alpha*theta)
l = 1 (1 + 25*10-6 *100)
l = 1.0025 mm

So when the meter ruler at 100 deg C reads 1mm,the actual reading is 1.0025mm.
I'm not sure if what I've found is relevant to this question,even if it is I don't know how to proceed from here.

Hope someone can help.
Thanx.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is asking you to find the first mm marking on the "hot" ruler that matches one on the "cold" ruler.

As you say, 1 mm on cold is 1.0000 + 0.0025 mm on hot. Then
2 mm on cold is 2.0000 + 2*0.0025 on hot
3 mm on cold is 3.0000 + 3*0.0025 on hot

Do you see what's going on?
 
kuruman said:
The problem is asking you to find the first mm marking on the "hot" ruler that matches one on the "cold" ruler.

As you say, 1 mm on cold is 1.0000 + 0.0025 mm on hot. Then
2 mm on cold is 2.0000 + 2*0.0025 on hot
3 mm on cold is 3.0000 + 3*0.0025 on hot

Do you see what's going on?
Umm... I think I do.
But is there maybe a shorter method of finding it without having to calculate it that way for 100cm?
I tried deriving a equation,but still no luck.

Thx.
 
OK. Let's start over again. I was hoping you would see the pattern. Here we go

1 mm on cold is 1.0000 + 1*0.0025 on hot. Is there a match? No.
2 mm on cold is 2.0000 + 2*0.0025 on hot. Is there a match? No.
3 mm on cold is 3.0000 + 3*0.0025 on hot. Is there a match? No.
...
x mm on cold is x + x*0.0025 on hot.

If x represents the mm mark on cold that first matches another mm mark on hot, what must x*0.0025 be in mm?
 
OK.I think I found one.
Working back from the answer..
l = l0 (1+ alpha*theta)
1*n = (n-1) (1 + alpha*theta)
n = (n-1) (1.0025)
therefore n=401mm and n-1=400mm

Does this make sense?
or is there another way of doing it?
 
I do not advocate working back from a known answer. This is what I would say to complete my previous post

Let x = the first mm mark on cold that first matches another mm mark on hot (x is a dimensionless number)

Then x*0.0025 mm = 1 mm

x = 1 mm/(0.0025 mm) = 400

Therefore the 400 mm mark on cold matches the 401 mm mark on hot. The equation basically counts how many 0.0025 increments are necessary to add up to 1 mm. :wink:
 
Last edited:
kuruman said:
I do not advocate working back from a known answer. This is what I would say to compete my previous post

Let x = the first mm mark on cold that first matches another mm mark on hot (x is a dimensionless number)

Then x*0.0025 mm = 1 mm

x = 1 mm/(0.0025 mm) = 400

Therefore the 400 mm mark on cold matches the 401 mm mark on hot. The equation basically counts how many 0.0025 increments are necessary to add up to 1 mm. :wink:

Oh I see now.
Thank you very much.
and I'm sorry I didn't see your previous post when i made my reply in post#5.