Which of the 2 metals is the magnet

  • Thread starter Thread starter Despot
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnet Metals
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
Despot
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Homework Statement
I have 2 pieces of metal in front of me. One is a magnetic metal and the other one is a magnet. I need to know which of the two pieces is the metal and which is the magnet. They look identical and I can't use anything else apart from the 2 metals.
Relevant Equations
none
No idea where to start
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider different orientations and relative positions in which you might bring them together. What would you expect to observe?
 
haruspex said:
Consider different orientations and relative positions in which you might bring them together. What would you expect to observe?
They would attract each other. I'm thinking of balancing them both and make some sort of a makeshift compass but think that's a sketchy solution.
 
Despot said:
They would attract each other.
In the same way, regardless of their relative positions and orientations?
 
haruspex said:
In the same way, regardless of their relative positions and orientations?
Yes I believe a magnet and a magnetic metal will always attract each other. Am I missing something here?
 
Despot said:
Yes I believe a magnet and a magnetic metal will always attract each other. Am I missing something here?
I think you are.
Suppose you wanted to pick up a metal object using a magnet. How would you orient the magnet towards the object?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Charles Link
I've thought of rubbing them together to create a temporary magnet but I don't see how that would tell me which one's the permanent.
 
haruspex said:
I think you are.
Suppose you wanted to pick up a metal object using a magnet. How would you orient the magnet towards the object?
If it was for example a bar magnet I'd orient 1 end to the metal object I was trying to pick up.
 
haruspex said:
I think you are.
Suppose you wanted to pick up a metal object using a magnet. How would you orient the magnet towards the object?
And I just got it, thank you!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hmmm27 and DaveE
Despot said:
And I just got it, thank you!
Quite a nice example of knowing the answer intuitively, but not realising you do.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DaveE, berkeman and gneill