Which of these simpifications is correct?

• Thread starter bill nye scienceguy!
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of simplifying equations is to make them easier to understand and solve by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. To determine which simplification is correct, you can plug in values or use algebraic rules. It is possible to simplify an equation in multiple ways, but it is important to ensure that the simplification follows algebraic rules and gives the same result. Not all equations need to be simplified, and practicing can be done through various resources and techniques.
bill nye scienceguy!
i have dy/dx = 2t/(12t^2+2t)

and i don't know whether the (2t) cancels out to give 1/(12t^2)

or if i should factorise it thus:

2t/(12t^2+2t) = t(2)/t(12t +2) = 2/12t + 2 = 1/(6t+2)

help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
2t/(12t^2+2t) = t(2)/t(12t +2) = 2/12t + 2 = 1/(6t+2)
It should be [tex]\frac{1}{6t+1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2t}{12t^2+2t} = \frac{2t}{2t(6t+1)} = \frac{1}{6t+1}[/tex]

whoops, well i meant to write 1/6t + <B>1</B>...

thanks!

1. What is the purpose of simplifying equations?

The purpose of simplifying equations is to make them easier to understand and solve. By simplifying, complex equations can be broken down into smaller, more manageable parts, making it easier to identify patterns and solve for variables.

2. How do I know which simplification is correct?

There are several methods for determining which simplification is correct. One way is to plug in values for the variables and see if the original equation and the simplified equation give the same result. Another way is to use algebraic rules to manipulate the equation and see if the simplified version follows those rules.

3. Can I simplify an equation in more than one way?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to simplify an equation. However, it is important to make sure that the simplification still follows the rules of algebra and gives the same result as the original equation.

4. Is it always necessary to simplify an equation?

No, it is not always necessary to simplify an equation. Some equations may already be in their simplest form and do not require further simplification. Additionally, in some cases, simplifying an equation may make it more difficult to solve.

5. How can I practice simplifying equations?

There are many resources available to help practice simplifying equations, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. It is also helpful to work through problems step by step and to check your work using a calculator or by plugging in values for the variables.