Which one talent would you most want to have?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GCT
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
56 replies · 9K views
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
0
Some people are just plain extraordinary, beyond gifted regarding a particular level of talent...naturals. If you had one talent, if you could be distinguished in one thing...what would it be? That is which of the following would you choose to be extraodinary so much as that you would be completely satisfied with possessing such an ability, in and of itself.

-piano prodigy, being able to play beautiful, masterful, magical piano pieces as well as being able to spontaneously compose a piece

-an extraordinary mathematical/logical talent

-other scientific talent

-athletic ability, e.g. "absolutely incredible" AI, Allen Iverson, dazzling fans

-Incredible writing talent

-other musical talent

or any others if you care to add

I think that I would pick the piano category
 
Physics news on Phys.org
being talented can suck you know. once people realize that you can do things very very well, are very smart, well they raise their expectations. I am a very talented horse back rider. I have coaches that want me to compete like mad, and push my own and my horses limits. I just want to ride. I love to ride. I don't want to compete. its a constant battle with my coaches. luckily I have good parents who don't push me. I can't imagine dealing with pressure from parents.
 
I think I'd enjoy being a talented writer. Someone who could write wonderful novels that people just can't put down as they get lost in a fictional world.
 
I'd really like to be able to read people well though...I mean really read their thoughts, be able to tell all about them after a 5 minute discussion...

Heck while I'm at it we can go about our own talents... I'm not sure if this qualifies as a talent, but I'm very good at video games.

Any game I've ever played, if you give me a little time and practice, I always become one of the best players of that game there are...for instance AOE II and Tribes 2, I'm nearly unbeatable in both of those games...

I've also got a rather quick reaction time, I've found that out while doing fake sword fights and what-not with friends.


But as far as any "real" :redface: talents...not sure...I'm smart, but I haven't found my niche yet. I'm pretty good at computers but then again that's just knowledge, not a natural inclination, or "talent".
 
I see logic-math talent as the only real form of intelligence--the highest-level intelligence for which all other intelligences are mere skills. So, for that and other reasons (what you could do with such a talent), that would be my choice.
 
Sure, some people might want to be able to play the piano or write a novel... but these are recreational talents. They might be pleasant, but they wouldn't change your life as much as logic-math talent could do.

Actually, if it were an option, I would take mystical insight as my talent. It doesn't get any better than that.
 
so can we define talent as a skill within the naturally possible domain that is also shared with a set of other people with same or more talents?

Kind of makes the whole question pointless - if you can achieve it, it won't be called talent - it would be called skill. If you can't achieve it, then I'd call it a supernatural ability - which is not in the domain of talent.
 
I love music and literature. I love to read and as much to write. I used to write plays, short articles and poems. Its all gone now though, my creative skills have died since one quite tragic incident. Maybe i will be inspired again in the future :-/.

-- AI
P.S->I like to argue on many philosophical topics but i came to know that this talent is widely known as "philotrolling" (something like philately?) so i started to curb this talent of mine :p
 
BicycleTree said:
Sure, some people might want to be able to play the piano or write a novel... but these are recreational talents. They might be pleasant, but they wouldn't change your life as much as logic-math talent could do.
I could see a physical v. intellectual distinction, or maybe a creation v. performance distinction. What do you mean by recreational or pleasant talents? Recreational v. professional? Pleasant v. miserable?
 
BicycleTree said:
Sure, some people might want to be able to play the piano or write a novel... but these are recreational talents. They might be pleasant, but they wouldn't change your life as much as logic-math talent could do.
How are Piano and Writing more recreational and less professional than Logic-Math?
 
I don't have any talent! T.T

But my mom sure has one. Sleep...
 
Getting into trouble - especially when I was a kid, then a teenager. :biggrin:

Summertime was especially difficult. Fortunately I had summer programs at university, but there was usually a couple of weeks where I would stumble upon an opportunity to do something really stupid and . . . . my folks were not amused. :biggrin:
 
Astronuc said:
Getting into trouble - especially when I was a kid, then a teenager. :biggrin:

Summertime was especially difficult. Fortunately I had summer programs at university, but there was usually a couple of weeks where I would stumble upon an opportunity to do something really stupid and . . . . my folks were not amused. :biggrin:


There are some good stories stories here, I can tell!

You know the rules! Sharey sharey!
 
brewnog said:
There are some good stories stories here, I can tell!

You know the rules! Sharey sharey!
Hey I know some of your talents:
1.good at telling lies!
2.good at praising yourself(this requires your first talent)!
3.levelheaded in difficult situation like losing your cat... :wink:
 
Dr.Brain said:
I have a talent- I generally disagree with people.

BJ
Exactly, Dr wetblancket!
 
Lisa! said:
Hey I know some of your talents:
1.good at telling lies!
2.good at praising yourself(this requires your first talent)!
3.levelheaded in difficult situation like losing your cat... :wink:


Me? Lies?! o:)

I'm not really that good at praising myself, I prefer to think of it as honesty. :smile: In fact, I reckon I'm the most modest person in the UK.

Anyway, I have load of skills. You know, like nunchuck skills, bowstaff skills, computer hacking skills… Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.
 
brewnog said:
Me? Lies?! o:)

I'm not really that good at praising myself, I prefer to think of it as honesty. :smile: In fact, I reckon I'm the most modest person in the UK.

Anyway, I have load of skills. You know, like nunchuck skills, bowstaff skills, computer hacking skills… Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.
Ok, now I'm sure I was right! :approve:
 
I forgot to say sth:may I ask you how many girlfriends you have?
 
Don't forget to ask him about the wolverine hunting he did in Alaska last summer. Say brewnog, what kind of gun did you use?
 
I personally don't have anyone skill that I excel at. I'm a bit of a jack of all trades and I kinda like it that way.
I would love to be a writer though. Those who have influenced me most through my life have been writers. Literature and art are the two things closest to my heart. I would have to say that I can't agree with BicycleTree's idea that these things aren't important. If that is your own personal inclination I respect that but it's always good to remember that is your own personal view.
 
honestrosewater said:
I could see a physical v. intellectual distinction, or maybe a creation v. performance distinction. What do you mean by recreational or pleasant talents? Recreational v. professional? Pleasant v. miserable?
Smurf said:
How are Piano and Writing more recreational and less professional than Logic-Math?
Recreational talents are valuable to others only for recreation; they don't accomplish any real results. You can't build a better engine by playing the piano.

But what I also meant was that piano and writing are done more often for recreation. It is pleasurable to play the piano or write. Sure, it can be pleasurable to do logic and math as well, but they are often more "active" and there is frequently the other interest of accomplishing some goal, making logic-math often not a purely recreational activity.
 
BicycleTree said:
Recreational talents are valuable to others only for recreation; they don't accomplish any real results. You can't build a better engine by playing the piano.

But what I also meant was that piano and writing are done more often for recreation. It is pleasurable to play the piano or write. Sure, it can be pleasurable to do logic and math as well, but they are often more "active" and there is frequently the other interest of accomplishing some goal, making logic-math often not a purely recreational activity.
The results of artistic persuits are definitely most often less tangible but that doesn't make them any less valuable, or the results less real.
And, actually, the most intense amounts of logic I use are generally for a recreational purpose. I play chess and go among other strategy games. I also like logic puzzles and cryptograms.
 
Not to mention the intense difficulty of actually understanding Music Theory
 
BicycleTree said:
Recreational talents are valuable to others only for recreation; they don't accomplish any real results. You can't build a better engine by playing the piano.

But what I also meant was that piano and writing are done more often for recreation. It is pleasurable to play the piano or write. Sure, it can be pleasurable to do logic and math as well, but they are often more "active" and there is frequently the other interest of accomplishing some goal, making logic-math often not a purely recreational activity.


So, nothing of any real use can be accomplished by writing?

Normally, in these circumstances, I advise people to remove their head from, urm, the sand.
 
I would like to be coordinated enough to play video games. :redface:

I'm trying to learn to play World of Warcraft with my oldest daughter (the spawn of Evo). We created my character last night (I'm a Tauren Druid :approve: ) and I went on my first quest. I had to get meat and feathers for my tribe. I left the hut and ran directly into a firepit. :frown: