1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which Science Requires the Most Memorization?

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1
    Are biology and chemistry the most memory-heavy sciences?

I took them in high school, but not in college (yet). It feels like math has much less memory involved, but I haven't taken higher maths yet, so don't really know either.

How memory-heavy would you guys say the sciences are relative to each other when people go into majors in them?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Field specific jargon? They're all about equal. Basic principles? Again, about equal. Memory load on the "learning curve?" Personal opinion is the life sciences (maybe geology) due to the incredible amount of jargon that has to be accumulated before "basic principles" can be applied to organizing the jargon for actual analytical thinking/applications.

4. Nov 27, 2014 #3

462chevelle

Gold Member

As far as the classes I've taken in college so far, biology requires the most memorization. Until now I really have tried to memorize anything in chemistry, just understanding concepts and math. VSEPR is the only part I'm really having to work to memorize. Mostly because it doesn't make any sense to me.
    Physics and Calculus are more just problem solving and understanding what is going on and what is logical.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook