Which textbook has plenty of symbolic intro MECHANICS problems ?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
NamaeKana
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I passed 1st quarter Physics for Life Sciences with an A last spring. Now I plan to take the Calculus version this winter quarter.

I looked at the the Physics department's example homeworks and exams and they are totally MULTI-step problems, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 steps, symbolic only. They appear to be like 'Physics 4e James S Walker's three dot problems. The exams in this department have no numbers to punch, no calculators, no formula sheets.

Can someone suggest a textbook which has many multi-step symbolic 1st year physics problems ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This Winter Quarter, I'll be taking Physics for Engineers - Mechanics. The textbook for the class has problems with numbers given and the answer has numbers as well. But the Physics Department's homework and exams have no numbers for questions nor answers. They are multi-step symbolic problems. Each step has a symbolic answer that feeds into the next step and finally the answer. So I'm looking for a 1st year Calc based Physics text or set of problems that are symbolic.

I did download PDF/DJVU for some advanced texts, but they are way beyond 1st year Physics. I looked at 1) Introduction To Mechanics by Kleppner, 2) Introduction to Classical Mechanics by Morin, and 3) Classical Mechanics by Goldstein.