Who are some recommended philosophers for beginners in philosophy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter uman
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
uman
Messages
348
Reaction score
1
Hi all,

I read Russell's "Problems of Philosophy" for school and want to learn more about philosophy. I picked up Heidegger's "Introduction to Metaphysics", but despite the title, it was much too difficult for me.

Any idea on good philosophers for a beginner looking to understand some philosophy to read?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
uman said:
Hi all,
I read Russell's "Problems of Philosophy" for school and want to learn more about philosophy.

Rene Descartes: Meditations on First Philosophy
Plato's Dialogues: Apology, Crito, Euthyphro
Plato: Republic
David Hume: An Enquiry concerning Human Understanding
Friedrich Nietzsche: Twilight of the Idols
W. V. O. Quine: Two Dogmas of Empiricism
Thomas Kuhn: The Structure of Scientific Revolutions
 
Well it depends on what you already know. If its a thorough overview of histories many philosophers and their ideas and doctrines then i would suggest Russell's "history of western philosophy"
For an absolute beginner who wishes an enjoyable and quick understanding of some of the oldest questions in philosophy i would recommend Thomas Nagel's "what does it all mean"
 
Last edited:
Thanks, both of you! I picked up the complete works of Plato from the library. Seems like a good starting point. I'll keep your other suggestions in mind!
 
Starting with Plato is good, and then Aristotle, Descartes, Spinoza, Liebniz, Hume, Kant, Nietzsche, Heidigger, Wittgenstein, Sartre.