Who do you consider the 3 greatest mathematicians ever?

• Thread starter PhysicsPrime
  • Start date
In summary: Isaac Newton, Leonhard Euler, and Carl Friedrich Gauss are often considered the greatest mathematicians of all time. Newton is credited with the invention of calculus and his laws of motion and universal gravitation revolutionized physics. Euler is known for his contributions to almost every branch of mathematics, including number theory, calculus, and analytical mechanics. Gauss made significant advancements in number theory, geometry, and statistics, and his work had a major impact on modern physics and astronomy.Other notable mathematicians who are often considered among the greatest include Archimedes, Euclid, and Ramanujan. Archimedes is known for his contributions to geometry and calculus, while Euclid is famous for his book "The Elements," which laid out the foundations of geometry
PhysicsPrime
in your opinion of course...These questions are always hard to answer and ultimately subjective because there are so many great minds..but if you had to pick the top 3 who would you pick

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

Archimedes
Newton
Ramanujan
thank you :)

jedishrfu said:
Next why do I think that? or do you agree?
well I am interested in why you put Archimedes as number 1... does he rank higher than say other greek,egyptian, arabic, non-greek mathematicians, is he the greatest ancient mathematician...and greatest of all time as well?

i don't know a lot about Archimedes, i would like to know more about him...how much of a genius was he?

Euler, Gauss, Hilbert

Likes a_potato
jedishrfu said:
Archimedes calculated the volume of a cone and the volume of a sphere using a form of infinitesimals 2000 years before Calculus was invented.

You can read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes

They also think that the Antekythera device, a very early gear-driven analog computer was based on an Archimedes design:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

He has had a deep and long-lasting impact on humanity.
how does Aryabhatta stack up against Archimedes...

would you say Archimedes is still greater than Aryabhatta

Newton (for Calculus, not to mention classical mechanics and optics)
Fourier (for his Fourier series and transform)
Galois (for group theory and abstract algebra)

In this case I interpreted "greatest" as "who came up with the most influential idea in my opinion", not necessarily most prolific or most brilliant (although they were probably all brilliant).

Last edited:
Very tough competition this one. I am just going to mention a few that died too early:
1. Evariste Galois (at 20, in a duel)
2. Niels Abel (at 26, tubercolosis)
3. Bernard Riemann (at 40, tubercolosis)
The first two would surely have contributed significantly more if they had been allowed to live to an older age. Riemann got 14 extra years compared to Abel but 40 was still too young. Conclusion: We do not like tuberculosis or duelling frenchmen.

Also I cannot resist including this one:
- Why did Newton not invent group theory?
- He was not Abel.
:oldcry::oldeyes:

now is it true that most mathematicians consider Archimedes, Gauss, Newton as the usual top 3?

Newton, Leibniz, and myself.

I also independently invented calculus, but was 300 years late.
And being only 7 years old, no one could comprehend my notation.
They all looked like LEGO® building blocks.

Oh, good grief...

Likes Jacobcredh2o, Ahmed Abdullah and jedishrfu
Leibniz for the invention of calculus and his (arguably) superior notational system.
Descartes (and independently Fermat) for giving us Cartesian coordinates (making geometry possible through algebra)
Cauchy, for introducing rigor to calculus.

Cauchy could possibly be replaced, but I picked mine based not upon their skills as mathematicians, but how much they contributed to the mathematical world. So much in math relies on calculus, and our rectangular coordinate system has shown to be quite valuable.

Euler (most prolific by far), Gauss and Hilbert

Although people love appeals to authority, and I guess it's fair to say that it's always easier to remember a famous name than one less famous, I would still have to consider Euler, Laplace and Gauss as three of the greatest mathematicians.

According to historian Clifford Truesdell,

" … in a listing of all of the mathematics, physics, mechanics, astronomy, and navigation work produced in the 18th century, a full 25% would have been written by Leonard Euler. "

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Laplace. In my opinion, he was not only a great mathematician, but above all a great discoverer. In every branch of astronomy, deep traces of his work are visible.

Finally, I believe Gauss deserves a spot, but many others do as well.

While questions like this are a bit silly and do not have definitive answers it is worth pointing out that mathematics as we know it today is so far beyond anything known before the 19'th century that comparing the two eras is a little like comparing apples and oranges.

Starting most likely with Gauss and then Riemann, mathematical thinking was transformed in a way that amounts to a Renaissance. Mathematical thinking suddenly became modern. Mathematicians generally consider Gauss and Riemann to be the founders of modern mathematical thought and therefore in some sense the "greatest" ,whatever that means.

After the discoveries of General Relativity theory and Quantum Mechanics, mathematics again took off and in the second half of the 20'th century went through what one might call a second Renaissance. Just as there is no comparison of the mathematics before and after the last half of the 18'th century, there is no comparison of the mathematics before and after say 1940. Many of the people who took part in this second Renaissance are still alive.

If you are really interested in where great ideas come from, you should be interested in cultural trends as well as specific individuals. Gauss and Riemann for instance lived in the classical period, a time of cultural fervor that includes Mozart and Beethoven, Benjamin Franklin, and Goethe. Why was this? What was the reason that so much creativity happened during this time? Would Gauss have been as great a mathematician if he had lived in 10'th century Iceland?

Last edited:
You could say that Newton, euler, gauss, etc were born in times that were "ripe for discovery"- If it hadnt been them, it would have been someone else. For example, Newton and Leibniz both discovered calculus independently.
This isn't to say they weren't great geniuses, in particular you could say euler was ahead of his time, but most of these were great only because of the time period they were born in.
In my opinion, the truly remarkable discoveries are ahead of their time.

I'd say Euler and Erdos for the sheer amount of contributions they gave. And then Galois for his bad-donkeyery.

But none of these are my favorite. My favorite mathematician is Stanislaw Ulam.

DivergentSpectrum said:
You could say that Newton, euler, gauss, etc were born in times that were "ripe for discovery"- If it hadnt been them, it would have been someone else. For example, Newton and Leibniz both discovered calculus independently.
This isn't to say they weren't great geniuses, in particular you could say euler was ahead of his time, but most of these were great only because of the time period they were born in.
In my opinion, the truly remarkable discoveries are ahead of their time.

I think you make interesting points.

A biologist I knew once said that it is better to be Leonardo Da Vinci than to be Isaac Newton because if Newton hadn't discovered gravitation someone else would have but only Leonardo could have painted the Mona Lisa. She also thought that Leonardo's scientific investigations were a waste of his talents - for the same reason. To her he should have spent his time painting pictures.

I personally think that her point of view is largely correct but I also think that she underestimated creativity in science. Einstien's theory of gravitation ,I have been told ,would not have necessarily followed in the natural course of physics research and that his ideas were unique and unexpected.

Similarly one might say that function theory could have trundled along without the theory of Riemann surfaces, and that Differential Geometry could have remained essentially a study of curves and surfaces in 3 space and done perfectly well without Gauss's idea of intrinsic geometry.

So individual creative insight does seem to make a difference in science and math and there seem to be theories that might not ever have been thought of without certain people such as Einstein and Gauss. I guess you could say that these people were ahead of their time big time.

Last edited:

1. Who do you consider the 3 greatest mathematicians ever?

As a scientist, I believe that it is difficult to definitively determine the three greatest mathematicians in history. However, some of the most highly regarded mathematicians include Archimedes, Isaac Newton, and Leonhard Euler. These individuals made significant contributions to the field of mathematics and their work continues to influence modern mathematics today.

2. What makes a mathematician great?

There are many different qualities that can make a mathematician great. Some of the most important include creativity, problem-solving skills, and the ability to think abstractly. Great mathematicians also have a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and are able to make complex ideas accessible to others.

3. How do mathematicians contribute to society?

Mathematicians play a crucial role in society by solving real-world problems and developing new technologies. They are involved in fields such as engineering, finance, and computer science, and their work helps to advance these industries. Additionally, mathematicians also contribute to the development of new theories and concepts that have a profound impact on society.

4. Can anyone become a great mathematician?

While some may argue that innate talent is necessary to become a great mathematician, many experts believe that hard work and dedication are the most important factors. Anyone with a passion for math and a willingness to put in the effort can become a successful mathematician. It is important to note that success in mathematics also requires an open mind and a willingness to think outside the box.

5. How has mathematics evolved over time?

Mathematics has evolved significantly over time, with new theories and concepts constantly being developed. In ancient times, mathematics focused primarily on geometry and the study of numbers. However, with the rise of modern science and technology, mathematics has expanded to include areas such as calculus, statistics, and abstract algebra. Today, mathematics continues to evolve and play a crucial role in various fields and industries.