Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who does or sees an experiment on rectangluar potential barrier?

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    In QM textbook, there is the solution of shroedinger Eq. on the rectangular potential barrier.
    The reflection rate can be caculated in each case, E>V0, E=V0 and E<V0.

But, I can't find the experiment on the rectangular potential barrier anywhere.

Is there anybody who does or sees such an experiment?

If you did, Contact me. mrhun@hanmail.net.
    I want to listen to that experiment in detail.

cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Perfect rectangular potentials are not possible in real experiments, but experiments with some other potential barrier shapes have been done. Radioactive alpha decays are a natural example of those experiments.

4. Sep 20, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your answer.
    As you say, Radioactive alpha decay is good example.

But, The thing I want to say is about the expeirment by using the potential made by human.
    I know that alpha decay is occured by the potential which is made by nature, not human.

I want to know how the reflection rate will be changed when the width of potential barrier increases in the real experiment.

Did you see such an experiment?

I want to do such an experiment.
    I want to find some experimentalists who have the interest in that experiment.

Do you know some?

If I have good luck, I hope to find some experimentalists in the universities in Europe, America and Asia.

MIT, Harvard, princeton, cambridge, Max plank institute, Tokyo, Hongkong and etc.

cheers

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook