Who does or sees an experiment on rectangluar potential barrier?

In summary, there is a solution for the Schrödinger equation in the QM textbook for a rectangular potential barrier. The reflection rate can be calculated for different cases: E>V0, E=V0, and E<V0. However, the speaker is unable to find any experiments on rectangular potential barriers. They are looking for someone who has done or seen such an experiment and asks for them to contact them. They are particularly interested in the change in reflection rate when the width of the potential barrier is increased in a real experiment. They mention that radioactive alpha decays are a natural example of such experiments, but they are looking for experiments using potentials made by humans. They also express interest in finding experimentalists who are interested
Younghun park
In QM textbook, there is the solution of shroedinger Eq. on the rectangular potential barrier.
The reflection rate can be caculated in each case, E>V0, E=V0 and E<V0.

But, I can't find the experiment on the rectangular potential barrier anywhere.

Is there anybody who does or sees such an experiment?

If you did, Contact me. mrhun@hanmail.net.
I want to listen to that experiment in detail.

cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Perfect rectangular potentials are not possible in real experiments, but experiments with some other potential barrier shapes have been done. Radioactive alpha decays are a natural example of those experiments.

Thanks for your answer.
As you say, Radioactive alpha decay is good example.

But, The thing I want to say is about the expeirment by using the potential made by human.
I know that alpha decay is occurred by the potential which is made by nature, not human.

I want to know how the reflection rate will be changed when the width of potential barrier increases in the real experiment.

Did you see such an experiment?

I want to do such an experiment.
I want to find some experimentalists who have the interest in that experiment.

Do you know some?

If I have good luck, I hope to find some experimentalists in the universities in Europe, America and Asia.

MIT, Harvard, princeton, cambridge, Max plank institute, Tokyo, Hongkong and etc.

cheers

Last edited:

1. Who typically conducts experiments on rectangular potential barriers?

Experiments on rectangular potential barriers are typically conducted by physicists and engineers who specialize in the field of quantum mechanics and semiconductor devices. These individuals have the necessary knowledge and expertise to design and conduct experiments that involve studying the behavior of particles within potential barriers.

2. What is the purpose of conducting experiments on rectangular potential barriers?

The purpose of conducting experiments on rectangular potential barriers is to study the behavior of particles, particularly electrons, as they encounter potential barriers. This can help researchers better understand the principles of quantum mechanics and how to apply them in various technological applications, such as transistors and diodes.

3. How are experiments on rectangular potential barriers typically carried out?

Experiments on rectangular potential barriers are typically carried out in a controlled environment, such as a laboratory, using specialized equipment and techniques. This may involve creating a potential barrier using a semiconductor material and then observing the behavior of particles as they interact with the barrier.

4. What are some potential applications of the findings from experiments on rectangular potential barriers?

The findings from experiments on rectangular potential barriers have various potential applications in the field of technology. For example, they can help improve the design and functioning of electronic devices, such as transistors and diodes, which rely on the principles of quantum mechanics. They can also aid in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers.

5. Are there any limitations to experiments on rectangular potential barriers?

Like any scientific experiment, there are potential limitations to conducting experiments on rectangular potential barriers. For example, the results may be influenced by external factors, such as temperature and electromagnetic interference. Additionally, the complexity of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles within potential barriers can make it challenging to draw definitive conclusions from these experiments.