Who has profited from this latest recession?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, people are buying cheaper food and are not switching to restaurants in order to save money.
Loren Booda
Has anyone actually profited, in terms of real value, from this latest recession?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some (American) Banks.

But you need to define what is real value. Profit and the real output are not same anyway - profit is just making money.

Generally, manufacturers and retailers of inferior goods.

Of course, many people profit from recessions. I believe McDonalds posted record profits last quarter or couple quarters back.

I believe Autozone has profited from it.

CRGreathouse said:
Very insightful! I agree on an intuitive level, but would like to see something more solid to support it.

CRGreathouse said:

1) This isn't depression yet
2) Americans have high living standards in general relative to people who consume the inferior goods on regular basis

So, I don't think those people are making big profits.

rootX said:
1) This isn't depression yet
2) Americans have high living standards in general relative to people who consume the inferior goods on regular basis

It doesn't have to be a depression and inferior goods don't mean goods that you sell in a 3rd world country.

Pengwuino said:
Ahem, McDonalds :rofl:

http://article.wn.com/view/2009/01/26/McDonalds_posts_sizzling_80_per_cent_profit_rise_in_2008/

Not a record as I thought but it was a huge gain.

That is pretty amazing. though the gain in alcohol sales isn't nearly as large it has had a continued growth over several years despite the economic troubles

2007 was yet another record year for US exports, primarily American Whiskeys, according to DISCUS preliminary estimates: Exports grew approximately 15% in volume in 2007 compared with 2006, hitting a record $1.01 billion.

http://www.marketingcharts.com/tele...nsecutive-year-exports-at-record-levels-3317/

note that this (edit - includes only) internationsal sales.

Last edited:
Netflix

Authors of books on how to profit from the recession.

I think you need to determine what "profit" means. Lots of companies managed to still be profitable - but profits were lower than expected. What it sounds like you mean is a much harder number to calculate: who made more (or lost less) because of the recession than they would have otherwise.

walmart

People who are buying houses/apartments with the intent to resell them later.

"US fast-food giant McDonald's says its 2008 net profit soared 80 per cent from a year, lifted by growing demand from consumers seeking low-cost meals in a deepening global recession"

Not sure I understand this. I can see people buying jeans at Walmart rather than Gap in a recession. But people aren't switching from expensive restaurants to McDs, surely to save money you cook food rather than buy burgers ?

Last edited:
Politicians. The general public is so unbelievable stupid that they'll believe anything a suit and tie will tell them. Even if its, "The gov't printing (counterfeiting) and borrowing more money and giving it to incompetent fat cats is the NOBLEST thing we can do for the poor working class". Rather, its the best thing for politicians because it gives them more power. Just like nationalized health care gives them more power.

Vanadium 50 said:
What it sounds like you mean is a much harder number to calculate: who made more (or lost less) because of the recession than they would have otherwise.
Well put, thank you. That was indeed my general objective.

Me. I was $44 billion behind Bill Gates before. Now I'm only $42 billion behind.

mgb_phys said:
"US fast-food giant McDonald's says its 2008 net profit soared 80 per cent from a year, lifted by growing demand from consumers seeking low-cost meals in a deepening global recession"

I'm not so sure I buy that, as 4Q08 had relatively poor performance. It was 2Q08 and 3Q08 where sales were high.

Also, these are bottom-line earnings, which isn't always a very accurate measurement - things like taxes and one time charges can distort it. If you really are interested in fishing through the financial reports to figure out the effect, I'd look for something called "same store sales".

Anyone who hasn't lost their job or had a pay cut. With a negative change in the CPI, anyone with a steady income is essentially getting a raise.

(Or at least, I don't feel so bad about our company deciding to forego raises this year if I keep telling myself that)

mgb_phys said:
Not sure I understand this. I can see people buying jeans at Walmart rather than Gap in a recession. But people aren't switching from expensive restaurants to McDs, surely to save money you cook food rather than buy burgers ?

in my opinion, if you're lazy enough to go out and plop down 60 bucks for a dinner at a restaurant for your family, you're probably too lazy to go cook the food yourself. I think a growing number of people don't find restaurants a luxury anymore, instead it's simply an alternative.

1. Who is responsible for causing the recession?

The recession was caused by a combination of factors, including the housing market crash, high levels of consumer debt, and risky financial practices. It is not possible to pinpoint one specific group or individual responsible for the recession.

2. How have large corporations and banks benefitted from the recession?

Large corporations and banks have benefitted from the recession in several ways. They were able to acquire struggling companies at discounted prices, receive government bailouts to stay afloat, and take advantage of low interest rates to increase profits.

3. Have any individuals or groups profited from the recession?

Some individuals and groups have profited from the recession, such as investors who were able to buy stocks and assets at lower prices, and companies that provide essential services during economic downturns, such as debt collectors.

4. How have average citizens been affected by the recession?

The recession has had a significant impact on average citizens, including job loss, decreased wages, and loss of savings and investments. Many people have also struggled with increased debt and financial insecurity.

5. Is there any evidence of illegal or unethical profiteering during the recession?

There have been reports of illegal or unethical profiteering during the recession, such as insider trading and fraudulent lending practices. However, it can be difficult to prove these allegations and hold individuals accountable in a court of law.