Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who invented Wireless Radio ?

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1
    Seems like a pretty basic question..

Most will say Marconi...

But is that really correct ?

Aquafire

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 10, 2007 #3

Danger

Gold Member

There's a radio that isn't wireless? :confused:
    Anyhow, I can't cite any sources, but I've read several times that Marconi wasn't the first. My memory is failing me right now. I'll try to dig up some history about it.

5. Aug 10, 2007 #4
    Good point Russ.

I beg some historical ignorance on the topic, particularly since, (in the light of your link) it appears to have been a far more crowded field than I had first assumed.

For my money, I would have said Tesla, gvien that (according to your link)...

" Nikola Tesla is now credited with being the first person to patent radio technology; the Supreme Court overturned Marconi's patent in 1943 in favor of Tesla."

But why do so many still credit Marconi as the "father of Wireless radio" ?

6. Aug 10, 2007 #5

Danger

Gold Member

For the same reason that they think that Newton 'invented' gravity, or that Euclid 'invented' geometry... people are stupid.

7. Aug 10, 2007 #6
    I am so glad I didn't suggest that either Marconi or Tesla invented "Radio~Waves" :tongue:

Aquafire

8. Aug 10, 2007 #7

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl:....

9. Aug 10, 2007 #8
    Isn't there still alot of Tesla's work out there that hasn't been fully explored? Or is it all figured out?

10. Aug 10, 2007 #9
    I would say the father of radio was Edwin Armstrong. He invented the concept of heterodyne mixing process, during WWI. That is the cornerstone of modern wireless technology. Armstrong also invented FM modulation and proved it had a way lower noise than AM. These advancements kick started the first wireless revolution.

11. Aug 10, 2007 #10

russ_watters

That's why I used the word "discover" in my post. I wasn't sure if you meant that. In any case, Maxwell predicted their existence and Herz discovered them.

12. Aug 10, 2007 #11

russ_watters

Tesla is probably where the idea/stereotype of the mad scientist comes from. He was a great scientist, but a little nuts. Though not everything he did/tried to do is completely clear, he did patent ideas that worked. That in itself is a good enough reason to reject conspiracy theories about other potential bizarre inventions of his: if he invented such things, he would have patented them.

It is also important to remember that he died more than 70 years ago. The bleeding edge of technology today is far beyond anything he was working on.

13. Aug 15, 2007 #12
    "The first person to patent radio technology" obfuscates the fact that Tesla never actually patented a radio. Tesla never invented or demonstrated a radio in the form Marconi did. He sued Marconi because different elements that went into his radio had already been patented by Tesla, but they were patented in connection with other inventions like remote control of motors and not the transmission and reception of sound via radio waves like Marconi's invention. Tesla claimed he had thought of the radio but not bothered to patent his ideas together in that form as such. This, knowing Tesla, was probably true, but since he neglected to patent and demonstrate it, I don't think there's any injustice in crediting Marconi as the inventor.

14. Aug 15, 2007 #13

Danger

Gold Member

In my opinion, the 'inventor' is the guy who thinks it up first, in a useable form. That gets really tricky as far as differentiation goes. It's sort of like asking if Robert Jarvik really 'invented' the artificial heart, since real hearts and mechanical pumps and electronics already existed. Conversely, I can say that I 'invented' a Mach 8 VTOL fighter plane for my SF novel. I put a few years of thought into it to make it as realistic as possible, but there probably aren't enough aeronautical engineers on the planet to make the damned thing fly.

15. Aug 15, 2007 #14

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's about time someone mentioned Maxwell, I would quibble over the word "discover" for Hertz. He generated, and detected them. He knew exactly what he was looking for, thanks to Maxwell, the problem was to generate and detect.

Is it a discovery when you know something is there, you just have to find it? If Maxwell had not made the prediction, Hertz would not have been looking.

It is clear the modern radio communications have been developed with contributions from many brilliant people. Unfortunately, for all of his accomplishments, Tesla did little for radio communications. We owe our power grid to his work so he will always rank high on the list of genius. He did not do everything, and not everything he did do ranks as a significant contribution. In this day in age there is more urban myth in his legend then fact.

16. Aug 15, 2007 #15
    Everyone thinks of 'inventor of radio' and they immediately think of voice and music coming out of a box/'thing'.

I think radio invention was to Tesla as he was the first to transmit a varied 'radio' wave signal, AND a device to receive and interpret the varied 'radio' wave signal. His was a remote control device and Marconi used the varied signal to activate a speaker--but the core idea of transmitting and receiving the varied signal was in Tesla's device. An analogy would be like the guy who invented color TV (Marconi) is given credit for inventing the first TV (Tesla).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  17. Aug 16, 2007 #16
    It's even more tricky than this since it's extremely possible that someone invented the radio prior to Tesla, and never bothered to write it down or record the fact in any way. The same could be true for any invention. We can't know. Therefore, in my mind, asking who invented a particular thing has to be qualified to mean: "Who is credited as the first person to invent ..." I think anyone who we believe has invented a thing from scratch with no knowledge of prior success with the same invention, can be regarded as "The Inventor Of..." Each has really accomplished the same thing.

18. Aug 16, 2007 #17
    It's really a matter of how the question is asked. When we say "the radio" we do, indeed, mean the well known "voice and music coming out of a box/thing," and aren't talking about the remote control we're familiar with from kid's toy cars and aeroplanes. Tesla incontrovertibly demonstrated, and patented, the latter while completely neglecting to even record the fact that he realized the former was also possible with this core technology.

Also: a patent isn't about historical credit. It's, above any other consideration, a legal document designed to direct traffic in the matter of who has the right to financial profit from an idea. Tesla won the patent battle a few months after his death when the whole issue was really moot.

19. Aug 16, 2007 #18
    "wireless radio" could be just two adjectives with a noun implied. It's a generic phrase even as "wireless"

wireless radio controlled vehicle

wireless radio waves

and in this webpage's subtitle:

http://www.sss-mag.com/rhistory.html

'wireless radio' could mean a battery operated transistor radio (no wires plugged into the wall)

Who invented 'the' radio?-----

http://www.pbs.org/tesla/ll/ll_whoradio.html

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  20. May 3, 2008 #19
    No no no....

I don't remember Marconi inventing t.v., i just read out of a book that Marconi created the wireless telegraph. Besides, when the first t.v. was invented, he was already dead!!!!!!!!!

21. May 3, 2008 #20

russ_watters

Who said anything about TV?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?