Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who makes these 'physics' rules anyway?

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/659/car.gif [Broken]

Not intended as a political statement.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I have a hard time believing that's true.

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    I can believe it. There's a whole school of thought in economics that says there are laws of nature governing the markets even though corporations, small businesses, etc are created by laws enacted & amended by human beings in a legislature somewhere.

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I don't. Well, actually yah i do but you never know. Reminds me of that ol story of the city council trying to ban water.

6. Dec 6, 2009 #5
  7. Dec 6, 2009 #6
    I have a very hard time believing this is true, as well.
    Now if this was quoted by someone in the GWB Administration, of course I'd believe it since GWB and cronies are nothing but a group of nit-wits. But someone from Obama's Admin?...

8. Dec 6, 2009 #7
    Yep! I was right!
    After doing some google-based research, I found out that it was the GWB Administration--and not the Obama Administration--that tried to repeal the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Here is what CAR Engineer D. Cole said when questioned about this Obama task force meeting:

"several congressmen a number of years ago" sounds like around the time of the Dubya Administration to me...

Source: http://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/obamas-auto-team-the-laws-of-physics/

9. Dec 6, 2009 #8
    I can't make any particular claim of veracity. I probably gave it more credence because it looks like a clip from a newspaper, not just internet fluff. Everything printed in the newspaper is true, isn't it??

If there was any point to make here, this would be it. Whether or not you suspect it true or not true, one would hope that these suspicions would not be significantly different if you replaced the word 'Obama' with the word 'Bush' in the above, and that we raise our intellectual examination above our individual biases.

For myself, I think these types of gaffe's occur all the time (with staff from both parties). They can be amusing, but I'm not too worried about them. Political wonks, because they are political wonks, tend to see the world as a set of social problems. I suspect that most of us here, because of our backgrounds will be more likely to see the world as a set of technical problems. Some are technical, some are social, but most are way more complex than can be imagined.

10. Dec 6, 2009 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

11. Dec 6, 2009 #10
    I always thought it would be wise to have a secretary of entropy.

12. Dec 6, 2009 #11
    "If I were an idiot, and if I were a congressman...but I repeat myself..."
    - Mark Twain

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  13. Dec 6, 2009 #12
    physicists=lawyers, this can't be a bad thing

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  14. Dec 6, 2009 #13

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh man, repealing the second law of thermodynamics is the best idea I've heard for ages! Imagine what we could do with all that free energy!

15. Dec 6, 2009 #14

russ_watters

16. Dec 6, 2009 #15

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

All Obama-GWB aside, what rag of a "newspaper" printed the article in the OP? It has been shown here to be blatantly wrong. Newspapers printing the equivalent of a forwarded bogus e-mail again?

17. Dec 6, 2009 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Wow talk about being .... so blinded by political ideology.

18. Dec 6, 2009 #17
    In an unregulated market, natural selection prevails.
    Attempting to regulate the market subverts evolution.
    Many feel that welfare and subsidy programs are devolutionary.
    Corporate welfare degrades the market.
    Personal welfare degrades the culture.
    Not sure how monopolies fit into the theory.

19. Dec 6, 2009 #18

russ_watters

Now that part doesn't surprise me!

20. Dec 6, 2009 #19

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I get annoyed enough when people I know forward the idiotic e-mails on a daily basis. It takes my PO'd-ness to a whole new level when I see a newspaper or news show, essentially, do the same thing. These people get paid for this?

21. Dec 6, 2009 #20

russ_watters

And then they wonder why their newspapers are going out of business!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook