Kinematics problem - struggling with my calculus

In summary, I am struggling to understand what am I supposed to differentiate. If it's V, which is 60, then the derivative of a number is zero. If it's a, then, a = -1.2v2. If I am supposed to use a = dv/dt , which I believe I do because it relates everything I need...then I could use a little guidance and help in my calculus.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6705/smallproj.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I'm struggling to understand what am I supposed to differentiate. If it's V, which is 60, then the derivative of a number is zero. If it's a, then, a = -1.2v2

If I am supposed to use a = dv/dt , which I believe I do because it relates everything I need...then I could use a little guidance and help in my calculus.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7691/dvdtq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration is a=dv/dt=-0.4v^3. dv/dt=-0.4v^3 is a differential equation to be solved for v(t) with the initial condition v(0)=60 m/s.
You have studied solving differential equations, I guess.

ehild

No,Vi= 60 m/s is the initial velocity, and you need to find V(t) the velocity as function of time.

Are you familiar with differential equations? dv/dt=-0.4v^3 is a first-order linear separable one. Rearrange the equation

[tex]\frac{dv}{v^3}=-0.4dt[/tex],

and integrate both sides. The left side is integrated from v(0)=60 to v(t), the right side goes from t=0 to t.
[tex]\int_{60}^{v(t)}{\frac{dv}{v^3}}=\int_0^t{-0.4d\tau}[/tex]

ehild

I am contemplating about this exercise. I realize we're dealing with related rates of change. As velocity changes so does acceleration. Hence calculus must be used because acceleration is not constant and is a function of velocity.

I think the graph looks something like this:
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1498/timechange.jpg We're taking the derivative of velocity with respect to time, because this tells us how the function changes with respect to time, therefor we can use it to elicit what the velocity is at a specific time via the formula a = dv/dt , if we integrate.

OK, then, I think I got the theory. As far as the actual math, I'm not experienced in calculus-- so I'll ask my friend today and I will try to get to the solution with her. I'll come back to this thread once I got the math straightened out :)

Femme_physics said:
Is my graph above correct?

If it is V(t), it does not look like the real one. Try to plot V(t) you have got.Or see picture.

Femme_physics said:
At any rate,
I worked out the calculus thanks to a friend, and it's true according to the solution manual :)

Congratulation!:cool:

Attachments

• vt.JPG
    vt.JPG
    3.8 KB · Views: 482
Thanks :)And yes, your graph makes sense but I thought that if V is going downwards I use a minus sign, but on second thought minus is a property of how acceleration behaves on the velocity, not velocity itself. Maybe it would be wiser to leave the leading direction of velocity (down in this case) as plus, always?

Femme_physics said:
Thanks :)And yes, your graph makes sense but I thought that if V is going downwards I use a minus sign, but on second thought minus is a property of how acceleration behaves on the velocity, not velocity itself. Maybe it would be wiser to leave the leading direction of velocity (down in this case) as plus, always?

Yes, that rocket can not turn upward, can it? So let the velocity be plus.
The 60 m/s for initial value meant downward velocity, into the water, not out of it.
The acceleration was negative with respect to the velocity (deceleration).

ehild

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. How is kinematics related to calculus?

Kinematics uses concepts from calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to analyze and solve problems involving motion.

3. What are some common kinematics problems?

Some common kinematics problems include finding an object's displacement, velocity, and acceleration over time, as well as determining the time it takes for an object to reach a certain position or velocity.

4. How do I approach solving a kinematics problem?

Start by identifying what is given in the problem and what is being asked for. Then, use the appropriate kinematics equations and plug in the given values to solve for the unknown quantity. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label the variables to better visualize the problem.

5. What are some tips for mastering kinematics problems?

Practice is key for mastering kinematics problems. It is also important to have a strong understanding of calculus, as well as the kinematics equations and their applications. Additionally, breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable parts and using clear and organized notation can help in solving kinematics problems.