Who said "Science is everything we understand well enough to explain to a computer"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 0rthodontist
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mystery Quote
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Messages
1,229
Reaction score
0
I have found a quote I've been looking for. It's the lower one in my signature right now: "Science is everything we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else."

However I don't know just who said it. Most web sources say David Knuth, but some say Donald Knuth. Of the two, Donald is a lot more famous, but I don't know if the quote is attributed to him by a minority of sources because Donald is famous, David said it, and some people were confused, or if the majority of sources unthinkingly quoted one original source that said David and it was really Donald who said it. There is a David Knuth who works in technology, according to Google. Anyone know who said this quote?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Does it really matter who said it...

i have read the book of D.E.Knuth..has great contribution in computer science,,especially Algorithms...dont know he is which one out of these two
 
I did...

...but I probably wasn't the first... :rolleyes:
 
Does this help?
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~wilf/foreword.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator:
jimmysnyder said:
Does this help?
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~wilf/foreword.pdf
Yep, that helps a lot!:smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator: