Why 1D well must has this solution?

• Thread starter KFC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    1d
In summary, the Schrodinger equation for a 1D well with size a and potential V becomes a second-order differential equation with a wavefunction f. The solution for this equation can be either f = A\sin(kx) + B\cos(kx) or f = A\exp(ikx) + B\exp(-ikx) depending on the choice of arbitrary constants A and B. The choice of A and B does not affect the physically measurable values, making both solutions valid. The restriction for the wavefunction to be real is not necessary as it can also be imaginary.
KFC
For 1D well with size a, the potential is V and when 0<=x<=a, V=0; othersize V = infinity

the Schrodinger equation becomes

[tex]
\frac{d^2 f}{dx^2} + k^2 f = 0
[/tex]

where f is the wavefunction.

For solving the equation, many textbook choose

[tex]
f = A\sin(kx) + B\cos(kx)
[/tex]

as the solution and apply the boundary conditions to find A and B. It is quite trival. However, I also try the solution

[tex]
f = A\exp(ikx) + B\exp(-ikx)
[/tex]

where [tex]i=\sqrt{-1}[/tex] and this is also a solution. But if I apply the boundary condition, I get

[tex]
B=-A, f=i2A\sin(kx)=0
[/tex]

and from this it gives the same condition for k but somone said this is wrong. I know that k could be positive or negative but for either case why can't I chose the general solution as

[tex]
f = A\exp(ikx) + B\exp(-ikx)
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution seems perfectly reasonable to me, it only differs from the textbook one with a phase factor, it seems, and as we know, for real physical quantities such factors doesn't matter. So I'd say you can use your solution.

1) recall that A,B in these two eq's is not nessicary equal:
[tex] f = A\sin(kx) + B\cos(kx)[/tex]
[tex] f = A\exp(ikx) + B\exp(-ikx)[/tex]

2) Also recall that you can write [tex] f = A\exp(ikx) + B\exp(-ikx)[/tex]
as something with cos and sin. So the two solutions are the same, except that you can't have the same A and B...

The equivalence of the two solutions is more apparent if you use different names for the arbitrary constants:

[tex]\psi = A \cos {kx} + B \sin {kx}[/tex]

[tex]\psi = C e^{ikx} + D e^{-ikx}[/tex]

Using Euler's formula

[tex]e^{i \theta} = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta[/tex]

you can derive equations for C and D in terms of A and B, and vice versa. So it's only a matter of convenience which solution you use.

Thanks for all your reply. Well, I know that the solution (bound state) should be

[tex]A\sin(kx) + B\cos(kx)[/tex]

that why I need to take the real part of my solution mentioned before. But my question is: why wave function for bound state must be real?

Thanks. Have a nice thanksgiving.

It does not have to! It is you who restrict the vaules of A and B to be real numbers.
When introducing constants, one has to specify which set they belong to.

It shouldn't matter if you have the factor of i in your bound state solution. When finding <psi \ psi> or any expectation value, you multiply by the complex congagate of the wave function anyway. This eventually results in the same value as if the i was never there. It may seem weird that the wavefunction itself is imaginary, but all that really matters are the physically measurable values.

1. Why is the solution for a 1D well necessary?

The solution for a 1D well is necessary because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles confined in a one-dimensional space. This is important in many fields of science, including quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

2. What factors determine the solution for a 1D well?

The solution for a 1D well is determined by several factors, including the size and shape of the well, the energy of the particles, and the potential energy function of the well. These factors all play a role in shaping the behavior of particles in the well.

3. Can the solution for a 1D well be applied to other systems?

Yes, the solution for a 1D well can be applied to other systems that exhibit similar characteristics, such as 2D and 3D wells. The solution can also be extended to other physical systems, such as electrical circuits and vibrating strings.

4. How does the solution for a 1D well change with different boundary conditions?

The solution for a 1D well can change significantly with different boundary conditions. For example, changing the boundary conditions from infinite to finite can result in different energy levels and wavefunctions for the particles in the well.

5. What are the practical applications of the solution for a 1D well?

The solution for a 1D well has many practical applications in fields such as material science, nanotechnology, and quantum computing. It can help us understand and manipulate the behavior of particles on a microscopic level, leading to advancements in technology and materials.