Why a Lie Group is closed in GL(n,C)?

In summary, Lie groups are subgroups of GL(n,C) with the property that if a sequence of matrices in the subgroup converges, then the limit is either in the subgroup or not invertible. The question arises as to how this is possible if the subgroup is closed in GL(n,C). In a separate example, it is shown that a subset can be closed in a larger set but not in the overall set.

Why is any Lie group G a CLOSED subgroup of GL(n,C)?

• continuty of determinant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Space Mn(C)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
BiPi
The Brian Hall's book reads: A Lie group is any subgroup G of GL(n,C) with the following property: If Am is a secuence of matrices in G, and Am converges to some matrix A then either A belongs to G, or A is not invertible. Then He concludes G is closed en GL(n,C), ¿How can this be possible, if Am can converge to A, out of GL(n,C), why is closed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget Lie groups for a bit.

Let ##A## be the subset of ##\mathbb{R}## that is the interval ##\left(0,2\right)##, and let ##B## be the subset of ##A## that is the interval ##\left(0,1\right]##. Is ##B## closed in ##A##?

I think it is, am I right?

BiPi said:
I think it is, am I right?

Yes.

Changing the notation in my example so as to avoid notional clash with Hall:

Let ##U## be the subset of ##\mathbb{R}## that is the interval ##\left(0,2\right)##, and let ##V## be the subset of ##U## that is the interval ##\left(0,1\right]##. Then, ##V## closed in ##U##.

Consider the sequence of real numbers ##x_m =1/m## for ##m## a positive integer. This is a sequence of numbers in ##V## that converges in ##\mathbb{R}## to the real number zero, which in not in either ##V## or ##U##.

Hall writes
##A_m## is any sequence of matrices in ##G##, and ##A_m## converges to some matrix ##A##, then either ##A## is in ##G## or ##A## is not in ##\mathrm{GL}\left(n;\mathbb{C}\right)##.

In my example, ##\mathbb{R}## plays the role of the set of matrices ##M_n \left(\mathbb{C}\right)##, ##U## plays the role of ##\mathrm{GL}\left(n;\mathbb{C}\right)##, and ##V## plays the role of group ##G##.

In your example, the limit xm=1/m" role="presentation">xm=1/m converges to zero, out of U and V, but You claim V is closed, as far as I know, a closed interval contains all its limits, what am I missing?

BiPi said:
In your example, the limit xm=1/m" role="presentation">xm=1/m converges to zero, out of U and V, but You claim V is closed, as far as I know, a closed interval contains all its limits, what am I missing?

Are you familiar with the concept of subspace topology (sometimes called the relative topology, or the induced topology)?

##V## is closed in ##U##, but ##V## is not closed in ##\mathbb{R}##. In order for ##V## to be closed in ##U##, when a sequence in ##V## converges to a point ##U##, then that point must be ##V##. In order for ##V## to be closed in ##\mathbb{R}##, when a sequence in ##V## converges to a point in ##\mathbb{R}##, then that point must be ##U##.

My sequence shows that ##V = \left(0,1\right]## is not closed in ##\mathbb{R}##, but it does not show that ##V## is not closed in ##U##.

Does Not Showing V is not closed in U, implies V is closed in U?

BiPi said:
Does Not Showing V is not closed in U, implies V is closed in U?

No, it doesn't.

One method to show that ##V## is (sequentially) closed in ##U## is the following.

Suppose that ##\left\{y_m\right\} \subset V##, and that ##y_m \rightarrow u##, with ##u \in U## and ##u \not\in V##. Establish a contradiction.

What is a Lie Group?

A Lie Group is a type of mathematical group that is continuous and differentiable. It is a group that is also a smooth manifold, meaning that it has a well-defined notion of "nearness" and "smoothness" at every point.

Why is a Lie Group closed?

A Lie Group is closed because it contains all of its limit points. In other words, if a sequence of elements in the Lie Group converges to a point outside of the group, that point is not considered a part of the Lie Group. This is important because it allows for the operations of the group to be well-defined and continuous.

What is the significance of GL(n,C)?

GL(n,C) is the general linear group over the complex numbers. It consists of all invertible n-by-n matrices with complex entries. This group is important in many areas of mathematics, including representation theory, differential geometry, and physics.

How does closure in GL(n,C) relate to the concept of continuity?

The concept of closure in GL(n,C) is closely related to the concept of continuity. A Lie Group must be closed in order for its operations to be continuous. This means that small changes in the input of the group operations will result in small changes in the output. Without closure, there would be gaps or breaks in this continuity.

What are some examples of Lie Groups?

Some examples of Lie Groups include the general linear group GL(n,R), the special orthogonal group SO(n), and the unitary group U(n). These groups have important applications in areas such as geometry, physics, and engineering.