Why does the Lie group ##SO(N)## have ##n=\frac{N(N-1)}{2}## real parameters?

In summary, for the real algebra ##SO(N)##, there are ##n=\frac{N(N-1)}{2}## real parameters due to the fact that orthogonal matrices are not necessarily symmetric, but the equation ##R^{\text{T}}R=I## provides at most ##n(n+1)/2## constraints in ##n^2## variables. This leaves ##n(n-1)/2## degrees of freedom. Another approach is to linearize the group element ##R## to first order and use the group properties to determine the number of real parameters, which is also ##n(n-1)/2##.
LagrangeEuler
When we have a Lie group, we want to obtain number of real parameters. In case of orthogonal matrices we have equation
[tex]R^{\text{T}}R=I[/tex],
that could be written in form
[tex]\sum_i R_{i,j}R_{i,k}=\delta_{j,k}[/tex].
For this real algebra ##SO(N)## there is ##n=\frac{N(N-1)}{2}## real parameters. Why this is the case when unitary matrix is not symmetric?

Physics news on Phys.org
LagrangeEuler said:
Why this is the case when unitary matrix is not symmetric?
Why is what the case? ##\dim U_n(\mathbb{C}) =n^2## and with the restriction ##\det =1## we get ##\dim SU_n(\mathbb{C})= n^2-1##

Orthogonal matrices are not necessarily symmetric, but since RTR is symmetric, we get at most n(n+1)/2 constraints in n^2 variables. Thus we are left n(n-1)/2 degrees of freedom, with some hand-waving involved.

Likes WWGD
One approach is to note that the number of real parameters is the same as the dimensions of the Lie algebra. We consider a group element ##R## and linear-ize to first order to produce an element ##R' =R+\epsilon K ## which must obey the group properties up to first order.
$$\begin{align*}
&\Big(R^T + \epsilon K^T\Big)\Big(R+\epsilon K \Big)
=R^T R & + \epsilon(K^T R + R^T K) \\
&\text{at }R=I \text{ we must have }
&K^T + K = 0\end{align*}$$
Thus we must have zeros along the diagonal. The upper triangular matrix part of the matrix is just the negative transpose of the lower triangular matrix, that is ##K_{ij}=-K_{ji}##. So the number of real parameters for K is the same as the number of upper triangular components which is ##n(n-1)/2##. As the dimension of the Lie algebra and the group are the same, the number of parameters for the group is also ##n(n-1)/2##.

1. What are Lie groups and why are they important in mathematics?

Lie groups are mathematical groups that have a smooth manifold structure, meaning they can be described by real parameters that vary continuously. They are important in mathematics because they provide a way to study symmetries and transformations in a continuous and geometric way, allowing for a deeper understanding of various mathematical concepts and applications.

2. What are some examples of Lie groups?

Some examples of Lie groups include the general linear group, special linear group, orthogonal group, and unitary group. These groups are commonly used in areas such as physics, geometry, and differential equations.

3. How are Lie groups related to Lie algebras?

Lie algebras are vector spaces that are associated with Lie groups. They are used to study the tangent space of a Lie group at the identity element, providing a way to understand the local structure of the group. Lie algebras are also important in the study of Lie group representations.

4. Can Lie groups be used to solve practical problems?

Yes, Lie groups have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, the use of Lie groups in robotics allows for efficient and accurate control of robotic systems.

5. What are some open questions and current research topics in the study of Lie groups?

Some open questions and current research topics in the study of Lie groups include the classification of simple Lie groups, the study of exceptional Lie groups, and the application of Lie groups in quantum field theory and string theory. Additionally, there is ongoing research on the relationship between Lie groups and other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and representation theory.