Why a PDE is an infinite dimensional system

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between partial differential equations (PDEs) and infinite dimensional systems. It is mentioned that the solution to a PDE can be written as a linear combination of independent solutions, but with an infinite number of undetermined functions. This leads to the concept of an infinite dimensional vector space. The context of the conversation is about control of distributed parameter systems, where PDEs are used for modeling and semigroups theory is applied for analysis. The individual seeking help is a beginner in the subject and is looking for more information to better understand the connection between PDEs and semigroups.
zhidayat
Hi,

I hope I posted in the right group. I read some papers about infinite dimensional systems and gave PDEs as examples of infinite dimensional systems. So far, I still cannot get why is that so.

Could everybody here help me giving relation between a PDE and an infinite dimensional system?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to an ordinary differential equation, of order n, can be written as a linear combination of n independent solutions, with n undetermined constants- a vector space of dimension n.

The solution to a partial differential equation, of order n, can be written as a linear combination of n independent solutions but with n undetermined functions. The functions themselves constitute an infinite dimensional vector space.

Thank you ... :)

Maybe if you told us the context--or the actual source--we may be better
able to help you.

the context is about control of distributed parameter systems which are modeled as PDEs. in papers i read (and try to understand), authors of the papers wrote the PDE and transform it into a state space representation using linear operator in Hilbert space and did the analysis using semigroups theory. since i am a beginner in the subject, i lost the link between the PDE and the semigroups analysis presented in the paper.

I would be grateful if i can get additional information.

Why is a PDE considered an infinite dimensional system?

A PDE (partial differential equation) is considered an infinite dimensional system because it involves an infinite number of variables. In a PDE, the solution is a function that depends on multiple independent variables, such as time and space. As these variables can take on any value within a given range, the number of possible solutions is infinite, making it an infinite dimensional system.

How is a PDE different from an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

A PDE is different from an ODE in that it involves multiple independent variables, whereas an ODE only involves one independent variable. This means that the solution to a PDE is a function of multiple variables, while the solution to an ODE is a function of only one variable.

What is the significance of the infinite dimensionality of a PDE?

The infinite dimensionality of a PDE is significant because it allows for a more accurate and realistic representation of many physical phenomena. Many real-world problems, such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and wave propagation, cannot be accurately described using a finite number of variables. By allowing for an infinite number of variables, PDEs can provide a more precise and comprehensive understanding of these complex systems.

Why are PDEs often used in scientific research and engineering?

PDEs are often used in scientific research and engineering because they can accurately model many real-world phenomena. This makes them a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. Additionally, PDEs have a wide range of applications, making them useful in a variety of fields, such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and biology.

How are PDEs solved?

PDEs can be solved using analytical or numerical methods. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact mathematical expression for the solution, while numerical solutions involve approximating the solution using computational methods. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the PDE and the desired level of accuracy.